Thread: 06 525i SE - Worth repairing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

06 525i SE - Worth repairing?

Hi folks,

Have an e61 525i SE (190hp, unfortunately) that's been sitting unused due to covid. ~180k km, hasn't failed an NCT yet, but has:

1) A long running oil weep, I think from the rocker cover (I believe Valdas checked it out many years ago and said it wasn't worth repairing, it collects on the undertray and just needs cleaning once a year)

2) It's losing coolant, some is being expressed via the expansion tank but unsure if it's being lost elsewhere. Another long running issue, at least 5 years+

3) Autobox needs a service, I don't think the mechatronic sleeve has ever been done

4) Recently, oil is getting dirty pretty quickly and seem to be getting a little bit more condensation from the exhaust from cold. Don't think the PCV system has ever been addressed, which seems to be a known issuer with these

The car has been in the family since 2010 and stands me nothing. Bodywork & interior are good, tyres are pretty recent and battery was replaced in 2019.

Just looking for peoples opinions on if it's worth addressing these issues, whether its to keep it going as an occasional runabout post-covid or even just to sell and give someone else a few years happy motoring?

BMWHaus Contributor
    It’s totally up to you. Your looking at about €1k maybe €1200 if you do a full service to sort the car. There not worth much than that unfortunately

If your doing the rocker cover gasket you also need to get new rocker cover bolts as well. And while your at it you may as well do your oil filter housing gasket’s as well

I did the same recently on my N52 engine

BMWHaus Guru

06 525i SE - Worth repairing?

Don’t look at it comparing the cost of the work to the value of the car, compare it to the cost of an alternative.

If you spend €1,200 - €1,500 on the car now you’ll have a car you know, in good condition.

If you don’t do the work you’ll need to find a replacement that’ll probably cost a few grand more but you won’t know the history of it.

PS. If you don’t won’t to do the work I might be interested in it as it. It could make a nice bus for winter.
    Last edited by JohnH; 22-08-21 at 16:26.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Don’t look at it comparing the cost of the work to the value of the car, compare it to the cost of an alternative.

If you spend €1,200 - €1,500 on the car now you’ll have a car you know, in good condition.

If you don’t do the work you’ll need to find a replacement that’ll probably cost a few grand more but you won’t know the history of it.

PS. If you don’t won’t to do the work I might be interested in it as it. It could make a nice bus for winter.
    John makes a very valid point there

Just saw this thread now and wondering about your decision ?

(Edited as I misread post as e39 !)

Cheers folks!

I won't be replacing it any time soon even if I don't repair it, I have another car that's going to get an expensive restoration at some time in the future and in the meantime, the pandemic has confirmed that I can get by with a bicycle, public transport and occasionally borrowing family member's cars!

Is Motor Confidence still the place to go? I might just pay Valdas whatever to price up all the various work and make a decision from that.