Thread: CCC upgrade nightmare

BMWHaus Contributor

CCC upgrade nightmare

So I purchased one of those android head units for my E92. Installed it last week and all seemed good apart from the poor fit. It came with a reverse camera so I said I'd fit that, which was fine until I went back into the ccc screen and found the screen colour and quality was terrible. To ad insult to injury I thought that maybe updating the the firmware on the head unit might sort the issue. But in doing so I bricked it, so that's pretty much a paper weight by the look of it. I tried the original unit and that's the same, the colours are all off. I had a Google but only thing I could find was possibly a connection was loose but I can't find anything obvious. Everything else works just the colour is off on the screen. Any body come across this before? Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    I had one of the carplay units fitted ('professionally') to our F31 - it was a piece of shite. One of the issues was the reversing camera was sending 12v down to the reverse lights, meaning that once the camera was engaged, the reverse lights stayed on - even when you were driving forwards. Had the unit removed completely and got a refund, eventually. I would suggest disconnecting the reverse camera as a starting point in case its causing any issues. It does look like its a connection issue - but if you've checked everything thats not going to be it.

This looks like a similar issue - https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93337
    Last edited by kdevitt; 04-10-21 at 16:09.

BMWHaus Contributor
    Yeah thats the post I came across. I put everything back to stock but still no joy. I'm now thinking did i kink/damage the lvds cable pushing the ccc unit back in. I'll have to try and pick up another cable somewhere to test it out. Cheers

BMWHaus Contributor
    I had no issues with mine - where did you buy from?
    E60 LCI 530i | E92 335i - Sold | E39 530i Sport - Sold | E30 318iS - Sold | E39 530d Sport - Sold | E30 318iS - Sold

BMWHaus Contributor
    I'm not to sure to be honest, it was from Ali express. I bought it 2nd hand unused

BMWHaus Contributor
    If you're still getting issues when you refit the original screen then it suggests to me that there is an issue with your wiring.
    E60 LCI 530i | E92 335i - Sold | E39 530i Sport - Sold | E30 318iS - Sold | E39 530d Sport - Sold | E30 318iS - Sold

BMWHaus Contributor
    So I bought a new cable, but unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. I'm now thinking I may have done something to the video card. Everything else works perfectly and I know its not the screen as its common to both the android head unit and the standard screen.

Is there any crowd here that can repair these, or am I better off just sourcing a second hand unit?

Last edited by Alanmcgrath40; 29-10-21 at 19:16.

BMWHaus Guru
    Are there any diagnostics that can be done on the head unit? I'd say you'd pick up a new unit fairly cheap all the same. You could upgrade it instead? I know its not ideal but I'd personally prefer to put money into a newer unit.
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

BMWHaus Contributor
    As in the android unit or the ccc unit? I have an idea what's wrong with the android unit I just need the right boot files to do a hard reset, but I'm having trouble online finding the right ones. Im thinking should I just buy a second hand ccc unit and leave it stock, buy another android head unit or go the cic route. All I want is to be able to stream music through Bluetooth and be able to use the steering wheel to change tracks.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanmcgrath40 View Post
    As in the android unit or the ccc unit? I have an idea what's wrong with the android unit I just need the right boot files to do a hard reset, but I'm having trouble online finding the right ones. Im thinking should I just buy a second hand ccc unit and leave it stock, buy another android head unit or go the cic route. All I want is to be able to stream music through Bluetooth and be able to use the steering wheel to change tracks.

CCC to CIC isn't too bad, what is a pain is that you need a BN2000 combox, there's a whole bunch of models that will work, but they're getting hard to find, you'd almost be better off looking at an NBT upgrade as that way you wouldn't need the combox and I think you'd do it close enough to the CIC upgrade, either way, you'd have to change the center console trim to accommodate the different controller.

I'm in the same position as you, I have CCC in my 630 and I'll probably go NBT EVO ID6.