Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LHD Cars

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
    .....but mores the point, whats the benefit of switching over?
    Fair points Ken, but you could argue that its an impediment to an open market in cars within the EU (although, I think I may have been inaccurate in saying we're a complete outlier, Malta is also a RHD market within the EU). While cars can, in theory, be moved between countries within the EU, as per Eamo's comment above, in practice its an obstacle.

Its probably fair to say that total sales volume in RHD markets is a fraction of LHD volume (globally, and in EU), so it likely also adds development and production cost to RHD cars.
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dergside View Post
    Fair points Ken, but you could argue that its an impediment to an open market in cars within the EU (although, I think I may have been inaccurate in saying we're a complete outlier, Malta is also a RHD market within the EU). While cars can, in theory, be moved between countries within the EU, as per Eamo's comment above, in practice its an obstacle.
    You can't really, LHD cars are perfectly legal here - just not practical, there are no obstacles to purchasing or registering them.

Quote Originally Posted by dergside View Post
    Its probably fair to say that total sales volume in RHD markets is a fraction of LHD volume (globally, and in EU), so it likely also adds development and production cost to RHD cars.
    One third I think - but two of the most popular brands in Ireland - Toyota and Hyundai - are from RHD countries, so unless all countries globally agree to drive on the same side of the road as I said above, a development cost will always exist.

I know Sweden did this 50 years ago, but the world is pretty different these days. Most Irish drivers can't tell the difference between the driving lane and overtaking lane, so expecting them to not only learn how to drive on the opposite side of the road, but also learn to switch back to the other side when crossing into NI is just a horrible idea.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
    You can't really, LHD cars are perfectly legal here - just not practical, there are no obstacles to purchasing or registering them.

One third I think - but two of the most popular brands in Ireland - Toyota and Hyundai - are from RHD countries, so unless all countries globally agree to drive on the same side of the road as I said above, a development cost will always exist.

I know Sweden did this 50 years ago, but the world is pretty different these days. Most Irish drivers can't tell the difference between the driving lane and overtaking lane, so expecting them to not only learn how to drive on the opposite side of the road, but also learn to switch back to the other side when crossing into NI is just a horrible idea.
    I think the biggest obstacles to following Sweden’s example would probably be political.

The cost of implementation would be huge and would give the opposition a free target on the government to point out they should be spending the money on hospitals/houses/schools/etc.

The other big problem would be when fatal crashes happen and the incumbent Minister gets annihilated by the meejia. “Granny Smith drove to mass last Sunday and was killed, Minister, after you made her drive on the other side of the road. 70 years driving without a ticket and she’s dead 24 hours after you made us all drive on the right.”

No sitting government will go for it.

I think there will be a slight rise in LHD cars on the road but is probably more likely there’ll be an increase in Jap imports and people just paying the vat & duty on English cars.