Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt View Post
You can't really, LHD cars are perfectly legal here - just not practical, there are no obstacles to purchasing or registering them.

One third I think - but two of the most popular brands in Ireland - Toyota and Hyundai - are from RHD countries, so unless all countries globally agree to drive on the same side of the road as I said above, a development cost will always exist.

I know Sweden did this 50 years ago, but the world is pretty different these days. Most Irish drivers can't tell the difference between the driving lane and overtaking lane, so expecting them to not only learn how to drive on the opposite side of the road, but also learn to switch back to the other side when crossing into NI is just a horrible idea.
I think the biggest obstacles to following Sweden’s example would probably be political.

The cost of implementation would be huge and would give the opposition a free target on the government to point out they should be spending the money on hospitals/houses/schools/etc.

The other big problem would be when fatal crashes happen and the incumbent Minister gets annihilated by the meejia. “Granny Smith drove to mass last Sunday and was killed, Minister, after you made her drive on the other side of the road. 70 years driving without a ticket and she’s dead 24 hours after you made us all drive on the right.”

No sitting government will go for it.

I think there will be a slight rise in LHD cars on the road but is probably more likely there’ll be an increase in Jap imports and people just paying the vat & duty on English cars.