Quote Originally Posted by Big H View Post
Contemplate moving to non-ROF's at all, or has RFT technology come on that much compared to the concrete sidewall'd jobs of a decade+ ago ?
Not really.

I hated the ROF's on Mrs D's old e91 and ditched them (although she decided she wanted them back the following change of boots because of the space lost with the spacesaver in the boot), even though they were only 16's. They were dreadful on the Z4 (Sport - 18's), so they were binned quickly. They were a little stiff on the f10 (SE), but OK (17's). I assumed I'd hate them on the 630i (Sport) but they're actually fine, as they are on the G30. They're probably a teeny tiny bit stiffer than would be my ideal preference on the G30, but I'd imagine it would be spot on on 18" ROF's, or if I was really bothered then I'd go SE next time. The e60 (SE) came to me with non-ROF's and I never felt the need to change back because there's a spare wheel well for a spacesaver and comfort and mile munching was the name of the game with that car.

I assume the tyre technology has improved and that BMW have gotten a bit better at tuning suspension and that they've made the difference in them being tolerable on more recent cars, but a lot of road tests through recent years have criticised ride comfort and suspension, so I imagine that its very model/spec sensitive.