Thread: E60 Angel Eyes Replacement

BMWHaus Guru

E60 Angel Eyes Replacement

Hi

I am looking to replace my OEM angel eyes with white/LED ones, but there seem to be quite a few different varieties of replacement bulbs and I am struggling to understand which ones I need for my car. Car is a 2008 LCI 520d.

The inside of my headlight assembly looks like this (not my photo, but looks identical), with the bracket for the existing angel eye bulb outlined in red:

The existing angel eye bulb itself looks like this:

I ordered replacement bulbs/markers from eBay which look like this:

The seller confirmed they are the correct fit for my car but they aren't. As is probably clear from the photos, these are the wrong shape and don't fit into the existing bracket within the headlight assembly.

Can anyone give me a steer on what kind of bulbs/markers I should be looking for?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by CitizenKane; 16-02-22 at 14:21.

BMWHaus Guru
    Does your car have xenons? The angel eyes have different fittings if so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru
    As far as I know it doesn't have xenons... but I could stand corrected on that as I am not actually sure (only had it for a few weeks and haven't done much night driving)! Is there a quick way for me to tell?
    Last edited by CitizenKane; 16-02-22 at 14:44.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenKane View Post
    As far as I know it doesn't have xenons... but I could stand corrected on that as I am not actually sure (only had it for a few weeks and haven't done much night driving)! Is there a quick way for me to tell?
    Actually, I just remembered that my advice was for pre-facelift E60s. My old car was a pre facelift with xenons and the angel eye bulbs were different to a car without xenons. Might not apply to the LCI

BMWHaus Guru
    Where your light switch is to the right of the steering wheel, you will see the front and rear fog light switches. Also there will be either one or two adjustable wheels. One will adjust the light level on the dashboard illumination. The other (to the right of the switch) will adjust the levelling of the headlights. If you have xenons, there won't be one to the right.
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.

BMWHaus Guru
    Ok thanks, that confirms I don’t have xenons then!

BMWHaus Guru
    Well if it's of any help to anyone else who might have a similar problem and stumble across this thread, I ordered a set of these and they fit perfectly: https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/24w-xm...-side-markers/

You can clearly see the difference in shape from the first set I got, so I am not sure why or what car those ones are meant for - maybe a pre-LCI car or a car with xenons perhaps.

My next question...

I am aware that you can't (or at least it's difficult to) replace the "eyebrow" part of the headlamp. I am not a fan of the orange look of it, particularly now the rest of the headlights are all white/LED. Is there any way to just turn off the eyebrow light part while keeping the rest of the lights on? I couldn't identify any cable for that part that could be unplugged, but I may be missing it.

Thanks
    Last edited by CitizenKane; 23-02-22 at 14:17.

BMWHaus Guru
    Well if it's of any help to anyone else who might have a similar problem and stumble across this thread, I ordered a set of these and they fit perfectly: https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/24w-xm...-side-markers/

You can clearly see the difference in shape from the first set I got, so I am not sure why or what car those ones are meant for - maybe a pre-LCI car or a car with xenons perhaps.

My next question...

I am aware that you can't (or at least it's difficult to) replace the "eyebrow" part of the headlamp. I am not a fan of the orange look of it, particularly now the rest of the headlights are all white/LED. Is there any way to just turn off the eyebrow light part while keeping the rest of the lights on? I couldn't identify any cable for that part that could be unplugged, but I may be missing it.

Thanks
    Is there not a setting in the I-Drive to turn off the day time running lights?

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 318 iS Cosmos View Post
    Is there not a setting in the I-Drive to turn off the day time running lights?

Possibly but I wonder would that also turn off the angel eyes? I’ll take a look anyway thanks.

BMWHaus Guru
    Possibly but I wonder would that also turn off the angel eyes? I’ll take a look anyway thanks.
    I’m nearly certain it only turned off the leds, not the angel eyes!