Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 318IS lying about MPG

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Wink E36 318IS lying about MPG

RE: E36 318IS lying about MPG

That gauge is more to do with throttle pressure I think rather than you true miles per gallon

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FunkySeeFunkyDoo
    That gauge is more to do with throttle pressure I think rather than you true miles per gallon
    I agree. Anyone know how this little gauge works exactly?

Can't wait to show the father and sicken his shit. He's a diesel man through and through always on at me about his MPG in his french yoke!

it's all to do with throttle position, speed and signal from the injectors as far as I know. It's useless really...

I'm sure it's possible to get 50mpg from a petrol e36 but I have no idea what planet has the most suitable conditions to achieve it.

BMWHaus Guru

it's all to do with throttle position, speed and signal from the injectors as far as I know. It's useless really...

I'm sure it's possible to get 50mpg from a petrol e36 but I have no idea what planet has the most suitable conditions to achieve it.
    I wonder what Enda is getting in his rebuilt one.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Venom

I wonder what Enda is getting in his rebuilt one.
    Since 2009 I've been recording how much fuel I use and how many miles I get per tank as I would always brim it when filling up.
    My first engine was pretty consistent at 310-320 miles from a tank, approx. 30MPG.
    The second engine was very inconsistent ranging from 240-300 from a tank.
    The current rebuilt engine with the slightly higher final drive of 3.45 over the standard 3.38 is achieving a very consistent 390-400 miles from a tank. Approx 36MPG.
    My daily commute consists of 3 miles of back roads, 3-4 miles through 50km & 60km zones and about 15 miles of motorway, pretty mixed with occasional light traffic. I could easily drive more economically and get it a bit better but where's the fun in that :P

BMWHaus Guru

Is that what you based your 50MPGs on

Sure if you took your foot off you be doing well over 100mpg, put it down more you be doing 0mpg

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyFish
    Is that what you based your 50MPGs on

Sure if you took your foot off you be doing well over 100mpg, put it down more you be doing 0mpg
    Seeing is believing :P

Strange thing is that was on the flat cruising.

Why did they even bother to put these yokes in the car!?

BMWHaus Guru

Not sure tbh but Ms don't have them and don't think the US have them either but could be wrong on that.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyFish
    Not sure tbh but Ms don't have them and don't think the US have them either but could be wrong on that.
    Ah sure it's late and right now I can't even think did the m44 have them with the OBC being available and all.