Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E60 520D Diesel Fumes Smell From Engine - Oil Leak?

BMWHaus Guru

E60 520D Diesel Fumes Smell From Engine - Oil Leak?

Hi,

While I had my E60 in with a main dealer for a service I asked them to investigate the strong smell of diesel fumes I often get when my windows are down.

They told me the issue is a substantial oil leak which is causing oil to leak on to the exhaust. However they said it would probably be uneconomical for them to identify and fix the leak and suggested I go with a local mechanic who would be able to do it cheaper.

So I suppose my questions are:

1. Can anyone recommend someone in the Clare (preferably) or Limerick area that I could get to take a look who isn't likely to shaft me on cost?

2. Is there any easy or obvious way I could try to narrow down the location of the leak myself in order to mitigate the amount I'll have to pay a mechanic to do so?

3. Is it possible that there is some other cause for this diesel fumes smell? I was actually surprised when they told me it was due to an oil leak. I thought it might have been something to do with the exhaust manifold which I understand can commonly crack on this car.

Thanks.

BMWHaus Guru
    Firstly, small rant, it annoys the sh!t out of me when a main dealer condescendingly suggests, often without even looking, that its not worth your money and their effort to address a fault that you've asked them to investigate. Its lazy on the part of the dealer too.

Not sure about the layout on the 520d engine, but its not uncommon for petrol 6cyl BMW's to weep a little oil from the rocker cover gasket and it drops straight down on to the exhaust manifold. From your description it sounds like something of that kind may be whats happening. Its not a wallet breaker.

John Roche is in Gort, so, not far over the county line from you. He knows his BMW's. I've been going to him since 2004 and can recommend him heartily. He may want the car for a couple of days to diagnose, order parts and repair if that's what you decide you want to do. PM me if you want his contact details (and say hello to our 316i if you're there in the next few days!
    Current: BMW 530e M-Sport - '17, BMW 630i Sport auto - '07, BMW 325i Coupe - '93, BMW Z4 2.5si Auto - '07, '90 BMW 316i Lux.

Previous: BMW 328i Coupe - '96, BMW 530i SE auto - '07, BMW 530i Sport auto - '02, BMW 318i SE Touring - '07, BMW 330Ci Sport - '04, BMW 520d SE - '11, BMW 523i SE - '00, BMW 328i SE Touring - '00, BMW 523i SE - '97, BMW 323i SE - '98, 330Ci - '00, 325i Coupe - '93, 318Ci - '01, 316iSE - '98, 325iSE 2dr - '91, 320i Conv - '91, 325i Coupe - '92, 320i 2dr - '91.

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dergside View Post
    Firstly, small rant, it annoys the sh!t out of me when a main dealer condescendingly suggests, often without even looking, that its not worth your money and their effort to address a fault that you've asked them to investigate. Its lazy on the part of the dealer too.
    I agree. It annoys me a lot too and that's sort of the reason why I didn't name the dealer (although I'm sure you could guess based on my location!). Having said that, they also quoted me €800 to fix the condenser for the air conditioning, so I have no reason to doubt them when they say it would be uneconomical for them to fix this issue!

Quote Originally Posted by dergside View Post
    Not sure about the layout on the 520d engine, but its not uncommon for petrol 6cyl BMW's to weep a little oil from the rocker cover gasket and it drops straight down on to the exhaust manifold. From your description it sounds like something of that kind may be whats happening. Its not a wallet breaker.

John Roche is in Gort, so, not far over the county line from you. He knows his BMW's. I've been going to him since 2004 and can recommend him heartily. He may want the car for a couple of days to diagnose, order parts and repair if that's what you decide you want to do. PM me if you want his contact details (and say hello to our 316i if you're there in the next few days!
    Thanks so much, very helpful! I'll PM you for John's details.

BMWHaus Guru
    The only thing surprising me is that you'd bring an E60 520d anywhere near a main dealer for a service tbh.....

The newest one is now 12 years old and the old adage of wanting a main delaer service history is a fairly moot point at this stage - I'd much rather see receipts/invoices from a well respected indy with preventative maintenance done (main dealers don't do preventative maintenance by-and-large, unless under recall).

I can also recommend John Roche who has looked after my E39 on a couple of occasions.

As a slight aside, a local guy to me has a 2010 E60 520d that has rolled over 200k miles at this stage on its original chain and he's no intention of changing it (a mechanic by trade) as it's still whisper quiet.....
    Current Daily: 2008 Lexus GS300 Sport F/L
    Current: E39 525i M Sport (Titan Silver)
    Previous: E34 520i SE (Orient Blue)

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Big H View Post
    The only thing surprising me is that you'd bring an E60 520d anywhere near a main dealer for a service tbh.....

The newest one is now 12 years old and the old adage of wanting a main delaer service history is a fairly moot point at this stage - I'd much rather see receipts/invoices from a well respected indy with preventative maintenance done (main dealers don't do preventative maintenance by-and-large, unless under recall).

I can also recommend John Roche who has looked after my E39 on a couple of occasions.

As a slight aside, a local guy to me has a 2010 E60 520d that has rolled over 200k miles at this stage on its original chain and he's no intention of changing it (a mechanic by trade) as it's still whisper quiet.....
    Thanks. I don't disagree. Keeping the service history wasn't a factor, the car doesn't have a main dealer service history as it is. It was mostly because I was struggling to find a local mechanic to do it for me any time soon as everybody seems to be out the door busy. Whereas the main dealer booked me in and did the work at a days' notice.

BMWHaus Contributor
    If your sure it's a smell of exhaust fumes and not diesel then it could be the EGR cooler. My dad's 520d had a crack in that and the smell of fumes was very bad. Something to check anyway.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    rocker cover gasket leaking more likely ,in garage from 200e to fix ,including new injector washers and breather pipe in front of cover ,if not done yet.
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw View Post
    rocker cover gasket leaking more likely ,in garage from 200e to fix ,including new injector washers and breather pipe in front of cover ,if not done yet.
    Would this also potentially weep a little oil Valdas?

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Site Sponsor
    yes, on exhaust side . if other side , oil filter housing gasket
    Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

Quote Originally Posted by Valdelisbmw View Post
    yes, on exhaust side . if other side , oil filter housing gasket
    Cheers, I guess I'll get that sorted while I'm getting the engine rebuilt

Chain snapped yesterday

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk