Thread: First available service date

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Big H View Post
    Why go to a main dealer for a 6yo car well out of warranty ? Would John Roche not be more able than an apprentice BMW tech ?

Or are there specific requirements service-wise for the hybrid system that may require BMW-only diagnostics ?
    Fair question. My thinking has been twofold, and impacting by a third factor. There is quite a bit of tech and hardware in the PHEV that there isn’t a huge amount of durability data on yet, and could be costly. I wanted to have a dealer FSH in case any problems in that direction occurred and was pushing for goodwill (anyone around here that was caught up in nikasil or e46 subframe mount/floorpan issues and tried to get goodwill from BMW will recognize why the fsh is important I that regard). Secondly, this car has required very little servicing and so the cost hasn’t really been a factor (this service has more items than usual). The impacting factor is that I hadn’t intended to hold this car for so long, and was keeping the history as a selling point. Brexit, market disruption, etc have meant holding it longer than originally planned.

Wow haven't heard Nikasil mentioned in a while. Dergside was kind enough to assist in my plight with a AUC E36 320i nearly 20 years ago.

I booked mine into my local for a service too and it was a 4 week wait. So its not just the main dealers with long waiting times.