Thread: Best OBD Reader For Occassional Use

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Best OBD Reader For Occassional Use

Hi there, I know that we have had some threads before about OBD reader is but it’s been a while since they’ve been updated and I am hoping I can get some advice on what the current best option is. Heading to Europe for a very big trip next month and want to bring something along in case I get any issues on the trip. I have seen a lot of YouTubers talk about the Carly tool and it’s the one I’m leaning towards for my E46 mainly, but if anybody has any opinions or experiences with it or any other readers you might let me know please.

Thanks in advance.

Dan.
    Current: '03 E46 Individual M3 Cabrio, ‘00 E38 740i Sport.

Previous: '05 E46 Individual 320Cd Coupe, '01 E38 Individual 728i, '98 E36/7 Z3 1.9, '98 E36 323i Sport Coupe, '97 E36 318i Cabrio, '05 E53 X5 3.0i Sport, 2010 E89 Z4 S-Drive 23i and '01 E36/7 Z3 2.2i Sport

BMWHaus Guru
    I use Carly - works well, bit expensive since the annual subscription pricing came in though.

BMWHaus Guru
    I use bimmerlink (and bimmercode) for convenience. I also use ISTA for more in-depth stuff using a laptop. Bimmercode/link are separate packages and purchases, however its a lifetime licence rather than a subscription and the cost is cheaper than a year with Carly. You can do advanced coding with bimmercode, that you cant do with Carly.

I also confirmed that Carly's battery registering doesn't work at all (at least on the E9x), despite telling you that the battery has been registered correctly. I double-checked in ISTA and confirmed my new battery wasn't registered. Since then I wont use Carly at all as that specific problem has been an issue for years and they have done nothing to resolve it.
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

BMWHaus Contributor
    I have Carly, but I bought it when it was a lifetime subscription, I'm not sure I would get it now because it's a yearly subscription. It's fine for basic coding and diagnostics.

I have since bought a Foxwell NT530, it's a great little scanner. It does bi-directional operation, adaptions, live readings and all the usual stuff bar coding. It comes with free lifetime updates. It works on the latest cars aswell as my E34 but you'll need an OBD I adaptor for older stuff. It costs about €160 pre loaded with a manufacturer of your choice ie. bmw/mini and its about €60 to add another manufacturers after that. I have since added Merc & VAG. Make sure you buy direct from foxwell or a reputable supplier as apparently there are fakes out there and you won't get the free lifetime updates on one of them.

https://m.gendan.co.uk/product_FXNT530B.html

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

Best OBD Reader For Occassional Use

I use Carly for the basic stuff - but like Alan I also have the lifetime subscription. It’s handy and I usually leave the reader in the glovebox. Saves me from plugging the old laptop into the mains for INPA & DIS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk