Thread: S65 Rod bearing question

BMWHaus Guru

S65 Rod bearing question

Hi guys.

Years since ive posted here

I'm in the market for an E92 M3(pre-lci), my question is about Rod bearings. Most if not all of them would likely have had them replaced and generally are advertised as such.
    My question is: Are the replacements usually a once-off higher clearance bearing that is less likely to have the same wear as before? or are you likely to be still needing to replace them on an ongoing mileage basis?
    I don't fear doing it or getting it done, just want to be armed with all the facts.

John

BMWHaus Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by John_D View Post
    Hi guys.

Years since ive posted here

I'm in the market for an E92 M3(pre-lci), my question is about Rod bearings. Most if not all of them would likely have had them replaced and generally are advertised as such.
    My question is: Are the replacements usually a once-off higher clearance bearing that is less likely to have the same wear as before? or are you likely to be still needing to replace them on an ongoing mileage basis?
    I don't fear doing it or getting it done, just want to be armed with all the facts.

John
    They're a service item really, you can use increased clearance bearings but then the risk of the car having issues with oil pressure at high temps is possible. There's all kinds of claims and white papers on the subject but from what I've learned, the most effective preventative maintenance is a careful warm up routine. Also, you don't know the condition of the bearings without a visual inspection as there's no way to account for every start up.

There's a decent amount more preventative work outside of the bearings too, injectors, throttle actuators, water pump, thermostat, coolant temp senders etc.

BMWHaus Guru
    Thanks for that Dave, on the lookout now.
    Another question while I have you, Is EDC a 'must have' option in your opinion?

BMWHaus Guru
    I like having EDC, its nice being able to adjust the suspension at a touch of a button but they're expensive to replace with OE parts, and after market support is relatively limited. Far a more options (and cheaper) with standard dampers. My understanding is that standard dampers are basically close to the "normal" mode of the EDC cars, however EDC is dynamic and does automatically adjust rebound while driving.

I recently purchased Evolve's EDC Bilstein kit to replace the dampers on my car, still have to fit them but looking forward to testing them out.
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

BMWHaus Guru
    Thanks Ketron, good info to have. I was interested in a 2008 model in sparkling graphite but I'll think I'll pass on it. No EDC and the colour is a bit marmite... it doesn't pop.