Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 2 Series Launch

BMWHaus Guru

New 2 Series Launch

Lots of details of course! lol

Looking forward to seeing it though as there will be an M2 in the future.

http://youtu.be/T8BdivtdT5M

Re: New 2 Series Launch

So thats 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8 how long before we see the 9,10,11 series

BMWHaus Guru

RE: New 2 Series Launch

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Its the same number of models its just made more simple to tell them apart for stupid people.

I'm sure having a 3 Series that had 4 seats, or 4 doors or a big boot or no roof confused many.........

Re: RE: New 2 Series Launch

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorB
    Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Its the same number of models its just made more simple to tell them apart for stupid people.

I'm sure having a 3 Series that had 4 seats, or 4 doors or a big boot or no roof confused many.........
    Really ?? How could you be confused if a 3 series is a coupe a wagon or a saloon it was still an unmistakable 3 series if anything its more confusing now especially with the new rear badges that generally count nothing toward cc's anymore

If they have the 4 series as the 3 series coupe does the touring and saloon still fall under the 3 series or is the touring now the 3.5 series

Also what is the 2 series going to be is it a 1 series coupe or just a smaller 4 series :huh:

BMWHaus Guru

More like badge virtually identical cars as being different to get stupid people to part with extra cash!

Administrator

Dont like the wheels! :P

They need to rethink the variant naming i.e. 328i and the likes just ain't 328's as we used to know them

Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt

More like badge virtually identical cars as being different to get stupid people to part with extra cash!
    I'm sad to say I'm in agreement.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt
    What I meant by my comment is that the models already exist, except now they are being given their own model number such as the 1 Series coupe becoming the new 2 Series.

I dont see how you can say they are identical cars. They may well share the same floor pans and mechanicals but how they are used by the customer and what they can do for the end user is completely different.

For example, the uses of a coupe compared to a hatch back are worlds apart.

And technically, they are just applying the terminology of other models across the entire range as a 6 series has always been a 5 series coupe (Similar floor pan, mechanicals etc etc) so it makes perfect sense I'm sure to a German marketing Guru that all the models should reflect this.

BMWHaus Guru

I don't think the 'usage' point is valid to be honest, but I doubt we're going to end up agreeing on this anyway The core use of a 3 series touring versus a 3 series saloon is as different as the use of a 3 series saloon versus a 3 (4) series coupe. Speaking personally, the difference between a saloon and coupe is looks alone - there is very little extra practicality afforded by a saloon for me - so the way the car would be used is identical. I use my Golf GTi for the exact same things as my E30, or my M3 - no difference.

As you said yourself, the models already exist - but BMW have very clearly tried to push the 4 series as being an all new offering, which to me, is patronising to their client base, its a 2 door 3 series really. I've no great issue with the rebranding per se, but I really think its a stretch to say it was needed before of customer confusion.

Although Audi even seem to have lost track of their version of this even nr = saloon, odd nr = coupe branding lark with the A5 getting a 4 door and 2 door version.

BMWHaus Guru

I suppose it amounts to what the competitors are doing.

At the end of the day its BMW's obligation to seek new customers as well as holding on to the ones they already have.

So if Audi and Mercedes have a different model for every day of the year then BMW has to do the same because people used to other brands will look for the equivalent BMW to the car they already have.

Its quite shocking how little "non car people" know of cars, brands and models etc. So it would be raise a question to one of these people as to why a 3 Series Coupe isnt called something different from a 3 series saloon since thier Audi A5 has a different name to the Audi A4 on which it is based.

I dunno.

All I do know is that I am waiting with baited breath to see and drive the M2 when it comes.