Last month, I shared out some of the stuff I've read over on Speedhunters. One of our forum members is an active member of the photojournalist staff there, so a visit to that site is always, for me, with added interest.

Today, I thought I'd share a piece on the BMW E28 which I've just read myself..

[align=center][/align]

Travel. For me this journey thing is an addiction. It’s not just about moving from one place to another. Depending on my mood or energy levels it’s a mild to wild obsession. If I’m not going places, meeting people and doing things, then I’m usually thinking about the aforementioned activities. The approach to travelling, and the fulfilment that we seek, is most definitely a personal thing. Amongst the different friendship groups that I have, the craving for adventure differs.

[align=center][/align]

Some of my friends think I’m mad, constantly heading all over the place. Whether it’s a 12-hour road trip for a shoot in the middle of Germany, driving 2000 miles for a Volkswagen festival in Austria or simply just picking a friend up from the airport really late on a Sunday night, they struggle to understand why. But then I guess they haven’t met Larry Chen. This guy pretty much invented a whole new league of adventure forwardslash doing whatever it takes to get the job done.

[align=center][/align]

When your hobby becomes your job, I guess you could call all of this work. But really it’s more an obsession. “Do you have to drive to such and such place?” people sometimes ask. “Of course not”, I reply. “I’m only going because I want to”. That kind of weirds them out even more. If I try to explain why we do these things, then it’s impossible for them to comprehend. This is fine, of course. I have begun to realise that to many, the sometimes ridiculous adventures we go on will never make sense. It’s like this awesome BMW for instance. You either get cars like this or you don’t. To some it’s just a BMW lowered on a set of wheels. But, like Paddy pointed out whilst he photographed this car, the E28 you see here is way more than the sum of its parts.

We spotted Luke Ward’s 5-series at the DMPD Show held over in the Netherlands back in August. As soon as Paddy and I had cleaned our cars we immediately went over to have a chat with Luke. It’s the kind of car that really draws you in. A product of the ’80s, this Beemer is over 25 years old. It’s actually a really late version of this chassis and one of the last E28 models manufactured. The sharp lines that vehicles from this era sport are lovely. I often romanticise about getting myself an ’80s motor, but it’s all too easy to underestimate the work involved with these cars. Despite it being a relatively simple build, the effort required to get it looking like this is still pretty high. And that’s what Paddy was rightfully pointing out when he mentioned that it’s more than a case of adding fresh rolling stock and some air suspension...

[align=center][/align]

You can read the complete article & view lots of Paddy's cracking photos over on Speedhunters --> http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/10/bmw-e28-never-ending-adventure/