Thread: Dealer business flexibility?!?!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Dealer business flexibility?!?!

Ok a bit of a long shot but I thought someone in the know might have some input on this.

I am wondering about how flexible dealers are to do deals on 2nd had stock, for example if I went to a dealer to look at a 2006 X5 and brought my 2007 e92 along, could I negotiate a swap without money exchanging hands. I'm pretty sure the e92 would have a higher value by approx 1-1.5k but would I be dreaming thinking that I could do that kind of deal? I still have an outstanding loan balance for the e92 too, which I would continue to pay off!

Any thoughts or input?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Dealer business flexibility?!?!

Car dealers dont do swaps with the public. Thier always has to be money their way regardless if your current car is worth more.

The only way a dealer would swap, Is if it was well in their favour, Family Diesel for a big hard to sell V8 etc...

Better off sell the E92 private, (Carzone, DoneDeal etc..) And walk in as a cash buyer and see how much you can haggle off the X5.

Very tough to do generally and a dealer will have a very limited market for your car as well...also, is the money you still owe a personal loan or is it a HP/PCP arrangement?

BMWHaus Contributor

If you have finance on the car the dealer will need you to clear that before even entertaining a deal. Some dealers will deduct the amount you owe from any deal and pay it directly to the finance company. Ultimately you will end up forking out something.