Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E46 M3 Suspension guidance

BMWHaus Contributor

E46 M3 Suspension guidance

So I'm facing a broken rear spring at the minute and an NCT fail so I'm curious as to what I should do for a repair. Some lowering would be nice, I've no real opinon on whether I want the ride to be stiffer.

My OEM option is to replace both coil springs with genuine BMW - that'll set me back €300-€400. I've been reading that when replacing the springs you should also replace the shocks; is this true? The car has 103k miles on what I'm assuming are the original shocks so is it time for a replacement? I've no idea how long the rear spring was broken - up to 10 months since it passed the NCT last December.

Another option I'm looking at is a swap to a coilover/true coilover setup. It's not a track slut or anything, I've only took it to Mondello once and nearly shit myself :P It'll probably end up there again though at some point but not regularly. What would a coilover setup offer me over factory apart from lowering?

I've been reading about potential issues swapping to coilovers on the M3 with lots and lots of people recommending some reinforcement plates, claiming that the swap will put a lot of pressure on the sheet metal - anybody have any opinions on this?

Are there other options I'm forgetting? Would an aftermarket coil with factory everything-else achieve lowering while making no other sacrifices?

Answers on a postcard

Re: E46 M3 Suspension guidance

Eibach the bitch and be done with it

Prokit or sportline you cant go wrog

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

RE: E46 M3 Suspension guidance

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Eibach the bitch and be done with it

Prokit or sportline you cant go wrog
    I can offer you a set of Eibach lowering springs,for M3 thy come just in Pro-Kit (black springs)

Depends on what you are looking for really. I'd be inclined to steer clear of a coilover setup unless you've cash to do it right and intend on tracking the car regular. For the look, an improved ride and the opportunity to right a wrong and get an upgrade in, I'd be leaning towards the lads suggestion of an Eibach spring upgrade. A very cost effective upgrade, even more so as you are dealing with a broken spring at present.

BMWHaus Contributor

Have you looked into Intrax springs ?

BMWHaus Contributor

At 100K the suspension could be due a refresh, I personally wouldn't fancy spending that money on OEM springs just to need to replace your shocks soon after. I'd look into H+R coilovers, prob over €1,000 but this will give you uprated new socks and springs all round, so you wouldn't have to worry about them in the future.

Coilovers let you decide the ride height a the H+R are very tolerable on the road. The car will be transformed handling wise and you'll enjoy it more on track.

BMWHaus Guru

As above.

A 100k+ miles M3 will need every spring, damper and bushing replaced.

Kw coilovers are highly recommended too but a Bilstein/Eibach kit of springs and dampers would be fine for the road.

I personally wouldnt waste the money buying OEM springs if there were other choices available.

BMWHaus Guru

If you havent made up your mind, im sure you could just pick up a used spring with the same colour coding to get the NCT out of the way

changing a rear spring is 15mins work.

this way you dont have to rush the decision on what suspension setup to go for.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC1.A0.Xe4 6+m3+bilstein+b12&_nkw=e46+m3+bilstein+b12&_sacat= 0&_from=R40 all the way!! fitted same kit for my friends E39 525d !! know few more cars with same or very similar set and all drive perfect

BMWHaus Contributor

id definitely look into new sachs shocks all round with eibach pro kit nice subtable drop and handling will be way better without breaking the bank can also supply and fit the whole lot