Thread: Winter tyres vs. summer tyres vs. all season

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

Winter tyres vs. summer tyres vs. all season

Winter is coming and this is an old but good read.
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/tire-test-all-season-vs-snow-vs-summer.html

There's some interesting results in there, I would have expected all-seasons to do better in the wet.
    It should go without saying that if you're buying ditch finder shite then the above article doesn't apply to you

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Winter tyres vs. summer tyres vs. all season

If I didnt have winter tyres I would have lost at least a full working week if not more during this year alone.

The tyres more than paid for themselves over the couple of years I have had them

BMWHaus Guru

this was one I seen about 2-3 years ago and summed it up for me.

http://youtu.be/pP6aJEOLphg

Administrator

There's no doubting the advantages of a winter tyre!!

I've debated getting a set for the past few years, but never ended up getting them. The year of the bad snow a while back, I managed to get to work and back without getting stuck, and had rear tyres on the thread limit. 20 mile trip, but not too many steep hills and not too many on the roads, and as a result not too many in-experienced drivers to stunt momentum.

Scaldy wheels always put me off buying them :P Might buy a set for the E46, as Murphy's Law, this year will be the year I damage something!

Re: Winter tyres vs. summer tyres vs. all season

I had a set of winters for my e36 the car was unstoppable on them in the snow the difference was night and day , I had a set for my e39 is well but when I fitted bigger front brakes they wouldn't fit so currently only have one set of wheels for it

As for all season tyres I wouldn't rate them highly at all its either one or the other imo summer or winter not both