The E36 318IS is a popular car and the addition of an LSD is also a popular mod. The aim of this thread will be for information purposes for those wishing to carry this out on their car.

There have been many conversations had on this one and there have been several different answers and opinions given over several threads regarding diffs, sizes, half shafts, flanges, ratio's etc etc...

So to start and maybe get peoples thoughts and experiences on this often asked question. I've yet to see a 100% certain answer maybe this will help us all out!?

I don't have all the info on this subject and would not pretend to. This will just be a starting point.

E36 M42 = 3.45 ratio
E36 M44 = 3.38 ratio

The options for an LSD that I have seen discussed:

An OEM 318IS LSD - these are rare can be bought but they seem to be differing ratio's and from different cars like an auto?

M3 LSD - Taken from a 3lt M3. Some have said it's the best ratio others have said it's not then there are those that say it's required to change to the thicker M3 half shaft and there are those that say this is not required? Also some say there are issues with the prop etc

M3 Evo LSD - Some say that this is the best ration to go for and some don't. Again this would involve changing the subframe etc.

We'll leave aside welders etc and lets see if we can't get this resolved. Looking to hear from those who have practical experience with the above or any other options I have missed.

Discuss!!!!