Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Definitive E36 318IS "Which LSD?" Thread

BMWHaus Guru

The Definitive E36 318IS "Which LSD?" Thread

The E36 318IS is a popular car and the addition of an LSD is also a popular mod. The aim of this thread will be for information purposes for those wishing to carry this out on their car.

There have been many conversations had on this one and there have been several different answers and opinions given over several threads regarding diffs, sizes, half shafts, flanges, ratio's etc etc...

So to start and maybe get peoples thoughts and experiences on this often asked question. I've yet to see a 100% certain answer maybe this will help us all out!?

I don't have all the info on this subject and would not pretend to. This will just be a starting point.

E36 M42 = 3.45 ratio
    E36 M44 = 3.38 ratio

The options for an LSD that I have seen discussed:

An OEM 318IS LSD - these are rare can be bought but they seem to be differing ratio's and from different cars like an auto?

M3 LSD - Taken from a 3lt M3. Some have said it's the best ratio others have said it's not then there are those that say it's required to change to the thicker M3 half shaft and there are those that say this is not required? Also some say there are issues with the prop etc

M3 Evo LSD - Some say that this is the best ration to go for and some don't. Again this would involve changing the subframe etc.

We'll leave aside welders etc and lets see if we can't get this resolved. Looking to hear from those who have practical experience with the above or any other options I have missed.

Discuss!!!!

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: The Definitive E36 318IS "Which LSD?" Thread

I've been running a small case lsd with a 3.45 ratio in my M44 engined 318is for the past few months. It was an lsd that Valdas fitted to the differential for me back in May.
    So far I've found it to be a nice improvement over the standard diff. Most of my driving is motorway based and so the engine is revving slightly higher than standard but nothing major.
    I'm running 245 wide rear tyres and the car does feel a lot more planted but it can still brake traction if you want it too.
    Overall i'd rate it highly for daily driving

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by EndaC
    I've been running a small case lsd with a 3.45 ratio in my M44 engined 318is for the past few months. It was an lsd that Valdas fitted to the differential for me back in May.
    So far I've found it to be a nice improvement over the standard diff. Most of my driving is motorway based and so the engine is revving slightly higher than standard but nothing major.
    I'm running 245 wide rear tyres and the car does feel a lot more planted but it can still brake traction if you want it too.
    Thanks for that Enda.

Can I ask is it OEM and if so what car it originally came from?

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Thanks for that Enda.

It is OEM. The 3.45 small case diff housing came from an M42 engined 318is I think but never actually saw the car. I bought if from England.
    The LSD unit itself Valdas had in stock at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Thanks for that Enda.

It is OEM. The 3.45 small case diff housing came from an M42 engined 318is I think but never actually saw the car. I bought if from England.
    The LSD unit itself Valdas had in stock at the time.
    also 320i has small case 3.45 ratio.

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: The Definitive E36 318IS "Which LSD?" Thread

188mm medium case fit as well , same size as 3.0 m3 but different flanges

BMWHaus Contributor

3.65 ratio oem lsd here. One of the best things I have done to the car. Running 195/50/15's she can be hairy. M3 ratio's no good at 3.15 the car would be like a 316. The lowest I'd go would be 3.45 but I wouldn't be massively happy about it

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 2
    3.65 ratio oem lsd here. One of the best things I have done to the car. Running 195/50/15's she can be hairy. M3 ratio's no good at 3.15 the car would be like a 316. The lowest I'd go would be 3.45 but I wouldn't be massively happy about it
    Having seen you leave me I'd say it's a great ratio!

BMWHaus Contributor

your first dibs dave when I go full tard

BMWHaus Contributor

I don't think there can be a definitive diff to have, depends what you want from the car . Id never put .64 in my car would be revving to hard on motorway and some lads would hate .15 caus of the loss in acceleration

Sent from my SM-G3815 using Tapatalk