Thread: E39 factory radio/cd advice.

BMWHaus Contributor

E39 factory radio/cd advice.

Hey gents. Need some advice. I have a 2001 e39 with standard business radio/tape deck and cd changer in the boot. A while back I noticed the rear speakers had stopped working. Then the front passenger speaker started acting up a bit and now has stopped working altogether. Anyway I think a new headunit is required. Now Im a cd man and never have progressed onto
    I pads and stuff. Im old skool lol.
    Can I get a headunit that will enable me to continue to use my existing cd changer or is it now junk too.
    Will I have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the present day.:surprised:

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E39 factory radio/cd advice.

I'd say you're better off getting a second hand radio once you've definately made sure that's the problem. Personally I don't like the look of the likes of sony radios in e39s and you'll also lose the steering wheel controls and your cd changer won't work with another radio.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
    I'd say you're better off getting a second hand radio once you've definately made sure that's the problem. Personally I don't like the look of the likes of sony radios in e39s and you'll also lose the steering wheel controls and your cd changer won't work with another radio.
    Yes agreed no single din radio look good in there but the newest used e39 radio is over 10 years old at this stage and has very litte to offer.
    Personally I decided to sacrifice the look to get the features, BT, USB, quality radio with steering wheel stalk 100% functional.
    It is down to choice really.

BMWHaus Contributor

Oh jasus thats what I was afraid of thanks Gents for your input.