Thread: Door wont open

Door wont open

My son was pulling out of tge handle on the rear drivers side door earlier while the car was locked it wont open now from the inside or outside :@

Any ideas is this an easy fix I remember taking an e39 door handle off before and it was an absolute pig of a job

I cant say for definite that's why it broke but Im assuming it was as last time I checked it was fine

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Door wont open

Cant say for sure but why not pop off the interior door panel and have a look for anything out of place, bent, broken.

Re: Door wont open

Will be a pain getting it off with the door locked cant really see much once its off , I foresee a serious headache tomorrow

BMWHaus Guru

Its not too bad man, you need to remove the little cover that reveals a screw behind the inner door release lever.
    Its a torx if memory serves. This will allow you to take the handle off, next bit is gonna be tricky with the door in place, you need to pull the door card, you'll likely break a few clips but it'll come off, you need to spread the force over a wide surface area, a plastic spatula would likely do the trick.

Have you tried to lock and unlock the car a few times?

Administrator

Just make sure you re-install the vapour barrier properly if you have to end up pulling it off!

Re: Door wont open

Cheers dave iv had them off a few times just the doors always been open ,iv tried unlocking/locking by key and the button inside somethings defintely snapped id say ,it wont open from the inside or outside il give it a go during the week if I get home while its still bright it will have to be a 3 door until then

Just wondering is it a cable or metal catch that breaks

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Cheers dave iv had them off a few times just the doors always been open ,iv tried unlocking/locking by key and the button inside somethings defintely snapped id say ,it wont open from the inside or outside il give it a go during the week if I get home while its still bright it will have to be a 3 door until then

Just wondering is it a cable or metal catch that breaks
    I don't think the cable on the doors handle and interior handle are common, that would make me think its the lock itself. It could be an actuator thats stuck.