Thread: Are Toyo R888 Road Legal????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

Lightbulb Are Toyo R888 Road Legal????

Thinking about buying a set of Toyo R888's for the M3 for use on track.

However I couldnt be bothered taking a seperate set of wheels with me on track days.

So I was wondering if anyone knew if they are road legal or not?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Are Toyo R888 Road Legal????

http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=1285

In the link Jeff posted yesterday to this: http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/ferrari-f40-lm-restoration/

About half way down he talks about tyre choice, he is based in the UK and using the R888

"I have to make a tyre, or what you call tire, decision. The only tires that really work on the car are either the new Goodrich G Force Rivals or the Toyo R888. Unfortunately the Goodrich which would be my preferred choice, are not street legal in the UK and whilst it will spend most of its time on the track, it will occasionally venture onto the street. The car would therefore be effectively uninsured.The R888 is almost as good a tire with a crazy tread pattern, as below, which does not really suit the look of the car but will make it handle great on track and on the street. One or two owners here in the UK are using these on their standard F40?s and love them.The final choice is to go back to the old Pirellis, possibly, which look right but simply no longer have the performance.Any thoughts as I am leaning to the Toyos and so as to fir the suspension etc we need a tire?"

Yep, they are road legal

What about yokohama Ado8`s or Federal 595 rsr`s?
    I know there not as hard core as r888 but surely there more use friendly as an all-rounder?
    Plus the have a lower wear rate and better on track in the wet then r888.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mckay
    What about yokohama Ado8`s or Federal 595 rsr`s?
    I know there not as hard core as r888 but surely there more use friendly as an all-rounder?
    Plus the have a lower wear rate and better on track in the wet then r888.
    Thanks. Will look into them.

The Toyo's are already on a set of wheels I was looking at you see.