Thread: E46 How to get permanent USB Power (Advice Required)

BMWHaus Contributor

E46 How to get permanent USB Power (Advice Required)

Well Lads,

Looking for a bit of advice with regard to creating a permanent USB power source.

The problem: Currently have a aux ipod cable hooked up to the radio with a usb power cable attached. I am also in the market for a phone holder/charger so that will bring the usb power cables to 2.

Solution 1:
    Place the 2 cables into an adapter to bring them into 1
    Place this 1 USB in a cigerette adaptor
    Wire in a secondary cigerette lighter
    Wire in a switch to turn off the power to the cables

Solution 2:
    Place the 2 cables into an adapter to bring them into 1
    Take apart the usb adaptor and wire directly to the new switch
    Wire in a switch to turn off the power to the cables

Anyone have any other ideas or solutions, have a preference for solution 2 as cheaper and less to go wrong (i hope)

RE: E46 How to get permanent USB Power (Advice Required)

If I understand your needs correctly all you need is a double USB charger, I have installed one and it has constant power.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-New-Dual-USB-In-Car-Charger-Twin-Port-Mini-Griffin-Jolt-for-iPad-3-4-5-/271262780689?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesso ries_MobilePhoneChargers&hash=item3f28858d11

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    If I understand your needs correctly all you need is a double USB charger, I have installed one and it has constant power.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-New-Dual-USB-In-Car-Charger-Twin-Port-Mini-Griffin-Jolt-for-iPad-3-4-5-/271262780689?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhoneAccesso ries_MobilePhoneChargers&hash=item3f28858d11
    Can that just be left in the cig lighter permanently?

Quote Originally Posted by Don B
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex

Can that just be left in the cig lighter permanently?
    Mine is, did not have any power drains etc. have it for few weeks. I presume that either it turns of when car is locked or something, I should actually test that out.

Just tested it out it remains charging devices when locked & unlocked, but I presume the power consumption when nothing is plugging in is equivalent to the red security light flashing on the mirror.

BMWHaus Contributor

I see what you mean Alex but im a stickler for keeping things looking standard (ie hide all this away in the dashboard). Thats why the solutions I put up above look so complicated

BMWHaus Guru

I think the E46 goes into hibernation after 15mins, your USB/cigar lighter will prob switch off at that point.

Also these USB adapters get quite hot in use, I wouldn't be too happy leaving one plugged in 24/7.....

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by John_D
    I think the E46 goes into hibernation after 15mins, your USB/cigar lighter will prob switch off at that point.

Also these USB adapters get quite hot in use, I wouldn't be too happy leaving one plugged in 24/7.....

BMWHaus Contributor

Find a switched power in the fuse box above the glove box and use a fuse tap to bring the power wherever you want.
    Plenty of threads on the web about switched power in the e46.

Use one of these. 100% hidden.