Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing a car.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Storing a car.

I'm in the same boat as yourself, heading to Canada (still unsure to what's gonna happen the M3)
    But,
    The way I see it is just brim the tank and make sure no moisture gets in, no point in starting it if its not getting out for a good run so just leave it dead. I wouldn't be worried about the flat spot on the tyres If that's all I have to replace after years of lyin in a shed I'll be pleased :wink:

BMWHaus Guru

Worth getting a trickle charger too for the battery. Even if you take it out of the car, get someone to pop it on charge every so often for a few weeks to keep it in top condition. CTEKs are great IME

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: Storing a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Full tank is advised ,prevents condensation forming apparently

Wheels could be a problem as your tyres could be ruined from flat spots by the time you get back of its not moved regularly even if you over inflate them they could still get flat spots over time

A few of them little moisture catchers are worth throwing into the car too
    Wheels off and on axle stands? Be odd but I can't think of another way off the top of my head?
    Then you have pressure on all the suspension hanging down though
    Place the axle stands under the wishbones maybe to keep the suspension under tension.

BMWHaus Guru

I put the corvette into storage every year for about 7 months. Give it a good detail prior to storing. I Fill the tank to the neck disconnected the battery have it in the hotpress in the house. I got an offcut of linoleum flooring and placed under the car. Get the tyres to 50psi. I just put a few bowls of salt in both footwells and rear compartment I leave the window open slightly and put a custom fit car cover over her. Comes out of hibernation every May with no problems! Just did the same with the M3 minus the cover.

Bowl of salt in the foot wells is a very good idea. As for the tyres id feel the same as yourself Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    I'm in the same boat as yourself, heading to Canada (still unsure to what's gonna happen the M3)
    But,
    The way I see it is just brim the tank and make sure no moisture gets in, no point in starting it if its not getting out for a good run so just leave it dead. I wouldn't be worried about the flat spot on the tyres If that's all I have to replace after years of lyin in a shed I'll be pleased :wink:
    Not like you've a brother at home willing to take it out for a spin now and again.... :huh:

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JayM
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    But,
    Not like you've a brother at home willing to take it out for a spin now and again.... :huh:
    +1 I can clean it and take it for a spin to "dry" it

BMWHaus Guru

There should definitely be a sticky on prepping a car for storage, what with RF150s and people immigrating, travelling etc. I see it being brought up again. Be handy to have

BMWHaus Guru

Sorry, meant to do this the other day: http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=1630&pid=18874#pid18874

Thanks to all for the ideas!