Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing a car.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Storing a car.

In a few months I plan on heading to Canada for a year or two and plan to store the e36. Any tips for putting it in storage?
    Obviously one of those inflatable airated bubbles would be ideal but funds and space wont allow.
    Just looking for some basic tips or peoples general experience.
    Il stick a cover over it and leave it in a garage, leave hand brake down iv heard? take out battery altogether... Leave window open a crak or is this a bad idea?
    Should I leave the tank full or empty I heard sometimes if its empty it can corode or am I wrong?
    Any tips appreciated thanks.
    Myles.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Storing a car.

If on concrete put carboard between the wheels and the ground. Damp rises as they say.

Will the car be started every now and then in your absence?

There are some that advise against a cover due to potential issues with the paint work.

Well the option of having it started every now and again is there. How often im not sure.. Need to finalise where it will be kept and will all depend on that. Also iv heard some one say I could put a light coating of polish on it and leave it there to protect paint but I dont think id feel confident doing that. Would a bed sheet over it be a better shout than a cover maybe... Paintwork is good but its not exactly showroom condition..

Re: Storing a car.

Full tank is advised ,prevents condensation forming apparently

Wheels could be a problem as your tyres could be ruined from flat spots by the time you get back of its not moved regularly even if you over inflate them they could still get flat spots over time

A few of them little moisture catchers are worth throwing into the car too

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar

Wheels could be a problem as your tyres could be ruined from flat spots by the time you get back of its not moved regularly even if you over inflate them they could still get flat spots over time

Wheels off and on axle stands? Be odd but I can't think of another way off the top of my head?

Re: RE: Storing a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom

Wheels off and on axle stands? Be odd but I can't think of another way off the top of my head?
    Then you have pressure on all the suspension hanging down though

BMWHaus Guru

The plot thickens....

The plot thickens....
    Cheap set of BMW wheels with tyres and fire them under it. :wink:
    Then get an alloy wheel stand for the good alloys.

Anyone know if Lidl are getting those wheel/tyre stands in again? I could use a set or 3.

BMWHaus Guru

1. Fill the tank to the brim, stops condensation in the tank.

2. Inflate the tyres to 50psi, stops flat spots.

3. disconnect battery.

4. I would change the coolant before you go as it's supposed to be done every 2 years as it loses it's anti corrosion properties over time. Might be an idea to do an oil change also.

5. Don't start the car and leave it running for a few minutes, this can do more damage as nothing gets hot enough to burn off any moisture from condensation, the exhaust will not get hot enough to burn off moisture and water will sit in the exhaust and corrode the mild steel. The engine will still be on choke also pumping excess fuel in to the engine which can seep down to the sump diluting the oil. If the car is going to be started it needs to get up to operating temp preferably driven to exercise brake calipers etc.

6. leave hand brake off, stops brakes binding

7 Store in a well ventilated garage.

8 No harm to crack a window for ventilation inside or add some gel bags to suck up moisture.

If the car is stored in a damp environment covers can cause paint blisters and generally trap moisture in which case I would not bother. If the car is in a well ventilated area a light dust cover would be fine.

There are more extreme measures you can take, I have heard people filling cylinders with oil but it's not something I have any experience with.

Good luck

Thanks for the info lads all suggestions help hopefully it will work out well!! I think a quilt over it might be a good shout as well.