Thread: Leaking ATF fluid?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Leaking ATF fluid?

Hello all..I noticed a little whif of rubber/oil burning yesterday when driving round town in traffic so pulled in and checked with a torch and nitced that the floor plate was damp from oil and oil where there shouldnt be. Later I checked it again and it was the same colour consistency as the oil from my power steering reservoir. Engine oil levels are fine. ATF level is low, reservoir was always damp, oily and dirty. I now know e39s have ATF leaking/hoses issues...can I top it up and drive away till I get time to get it to my local mechanic...or should I be more cautious and get it straight to him? Thanks in advance again. Great forum :happy:

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Leaking ATF fluid?

It usually leaks from the pipes under the reservoir,there are plenty of diy fixes on the net where you cut the pipe and reattach using a jubilee clamp ,might save u a few quid if you could manage it yourself. When topping up just make sure you are using the right fluid afaik BMW use 2 different types wrong type ruins the power steering system.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Leaking ATF fluid?

It usually leaks from the pipes under the reservoir,there are plenty of diy fixes on the net where you cut the pipe and reattach using a jubilee clamp ,might save u a few quid if you could manage it yourself. When topping up just make sure you are using the right fluid afaik BMW use 2 different types wrong type ruins the power steering system.