Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter tyres..

BMWHaus Guru

Winter tyres..

Anyone got some on?

Going to put a set on tomorrow, anyone else? Be the first year im going to have winters as I never needed them as much before but now im doing more driving its a needs be.

Anyone think there a waste of time? Personally I don't but have read some who think theres no point in winter tyres, "the nankangs be grand lad"

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Winter tyres..

I have Pirelli Sottozero's on the E34 and they are fantastic. Now I know the E34 is 4x4 but the confidence that the winter tyres gives allows me to just truck on as if I was driving on a normal surface.

Earlier this year, in March, when we had the very deep snow (Three Feet plus) up here I took the E34 way out into the sticks up wee country roads that hadnt been ploughed or gritted and it was great.

In a normal BMW, having winter tyres is the difference between moving and not moving - its a simple as that.

But even if we dont get rediculous Arctic conditions, having winter tyres during winter improves handling, grip and reduces stopping distances. So its win win all round.

Do you need them??? Well if we get bad weather, can you afford to be stuck in your house and not get to work?? For me the answer was simple and I bought the tyres. I'm into my 3rd winter with them and they are lasting great. So you will definatley get your value for money out of them.

Like all tyres, cheap winter tyres are like cheap summer tyres i.e. POO!

Buy the best brand you can afford!

Re: Winter tyres..

I agree with john definitely not a waste of money chris my e36 was horrendous a few year back so I bought a set of 16's for it and put 4 winter tyres on it the car was great in deep snow with them on the e36 is very light over the rear and it just got stuck on the smallest inclines especially at traffic lights it was a nightmare

I had a set of winters is well in 15" for the e39 but when I changed to bigger brakes they wouldn't clear the calipers so at the moment iv only the one set of wheels must pick up a second set

BMWHaus Guru

After having a wee sideways issue on stretched rears this morning I can certainly see the advantage :sad:

BMWHaus Guru

@Gar I always thought 16's were the smallest that would fit on the 325/525.

Anyway i'm on the hunt for a second set of wheels - thinking about either 16" style 32's or 17" style 68 M sport wheels. hint hint:happy:

No 15's fit too the caliper on the 325 is the same as the 320 and probably even the 318 ??? Im not to sure on the 318

Would probably go with 16's though at least that way you have plenty of clearence

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    No 15's fit too the caliper on the 325 is the same as the 320 and probably even the 318 ??? Im not to sure on the 318

Would probably go with 16's though at least that way you have plenty of clearence
    Ah i had no idea...so does that mean the discs and pads are the same for the 318 and 325? I have Dunlop SportsMaxx on the rears and there's feck all grip below 5 degrees

Im not too sure shane to be honest as there was no 4 pot in the e39 I can only confirm 320 and 325

Yeh it can be slippy alright I was coming home on the backroads from kildare the other night and it was -2 few small slides nothing major though

BMWHaus Contributor

If we get a bad winter and you can't afford to be stuck then they are well worth while

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor

I also don't believe you need high end brand winter tyres as long as they have the snow flake symbol

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk