Thread: A Little Help - Ambient temp

A Little Help - Ambient temp

Hi folks,

Just looking for a little insight / help here. My ambient temperature reading have gotten very erratic, and not a bit stable.
    Whilst none are in negative values, over the past hour or so while on a trip, it went from 5.5 to 18.5 and followed by 26.5 and to a max of 50 and has continued in a similar cycle throughout now the figures vary it always seems to hit a max of 50. Should this be a major cause for concern? I'm thinking it just may need a new ambient temperature sensor and the recent cold snap may have damaged even tho temps only went to -5.5 here or is it possible there may be a different underlying problem.

I understand it probably cannot be properly diagnosed until run through diagnostics but just hoping to hear views and maybe put my mind to rest that its not a big repair or will lead to a big repair.
    Thanks for your time and thanks for reading.
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: A Little Help - Ambient temp

First thing I would do is swap a known healthy sensor into your car and see if that fixes it. Do any of your mates have an e60 ?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinF
    First thing I would do is swap a known healthy sensor into your car and see if that fixes it. Do any of your mates have an e60 ?
    unfortunately not
    gonna call to my indy I think,

BMWHaus Guru

Could be a few things but the sensor might be to blame, check its not been hampered by anything like leafs etc or is it possible a speed bump has taken it out??

Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyFish
    Could be a few things but the sensor might be to blame, check its not been hampered by anything like leafs etc or is it possible a speed bump has taken it out??
    Actually I replaced the grill last week and tried to get some leaves out from inside the bay, hmmm could be possible I disturbed it .
    Anyway called my Indy says no reason for concern and will order new temp sensor and replace later in the week for me if necessary and throw it up on the ramp just in case to see if it sheared on a speed bump (just as u suggested). can these be relocated elsewhere in the bay? Just no point in putting back in same place if speed bumps gonna take it out.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DanE60
    Actually I replaced the grill last week and tried to get some leaves out from inside the bay, hmmm could be possible I disturbed it .
    Anyway called my Indy says no reason for concern and will order new temp sensor and replace later in the week for me if necessary and throw it up on the ramp just in case to see if it sheared on a speed bump (just as u suggested). can these be relocated elsewhere in the bay? Just no point in putting back in same place if speed bumps gonna take it out.
    I know its not e39 but check this out, not sure how it relates to the e60

http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=1380

Quote Originally Posted by DanE60
    I know its not e39 but check this out, not sure how it relates to the e60

http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=1380
    Legend , thanks