Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I would love to buy your car...how to go about it!

I would love to buy your car...how to go about it!

There's a very nice E38 near to me and more than once, I've thought about sticking a note on the screen to let the owner know of my interest if he ever decided to sell. The reason I haven't done it is that I have only ever seen the car in the owner's drive, so it might look a bit odd skulking about with a piece of paper!

So imagine my excitement when tonight I spotted the car in Aldi and was able to park next to it! I had a quick look around it, liked what I saw and thought 'now's my chance!' But could I find a pen and scrap of paper? No such luck, and by the time I ran into Aldi and borrowed a pen, scribbled a few lines on the back of my shopping list, the car was gone. Dammit.

But does this method work? My wife thinks I'm nuts and sees it as being on a par with stalking - I admit I've driven slowly past the guy's house a few times!

Has anyone here ever bought or sold a car where you've found or left a note under the wiper?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: I would love to buy your car...how to go about it!

Knocked into a house few years ago about a car in the garden, I think if you present yourself well people wont mind but obviously if you go to the door "hows it going boss..." they might get worried

Only thing that would put me off is if the car went missing between you knocking in and the days that follow, it might point the finger in your direction, but chances of that happening? Might be worth the risk of buying a car you like

BMWHaus Contributor

I left a note under a windscreen wiper on a car in Fitzwilliam tennis club years ago while passing through. Got a call from the gentleman the same evening and bought the car a few days after - you don't take a chance you ain't got a chance !!

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

once i had journey to NI for M3 ,at the top there the land finish ,couldnt buy that crap so went home empty.on the way home spotted some M3 e36 and i do knocked the doors ,explained all my not lucky journey and asked would he be interested to sell his car . was told he will never sell it :tounge:

Sorta off topic, But I once went to buy an exhaust for my 318is... Met the guy at a petrol station, Got talking and had a look around his car (Boston Green 318is) and randomly managed to buy it for stupidly cheap, That was a good day!
    Wish I never sold it though.

Anyway, maybe write down on a piece of paper that it's a nice car and you'd be interested in buying it if it was for sale and your contact details and stick it in the letter-box?

BMWHaus Guru

I'd do the same as Ross above, piece of paper, "If you're ever thinking of selling...", contact details, etc. Can't imagine too many robbers leave their contact details, so I reckon that should put their mind at ease

Chances are that Andy's already got there before you though! (Sorry Andy :tounge

The note is written now so it's just a case of coming across it again! Not sure if I'd be keen on door-stepping the guy but the note in the letter box could be the way to go.:cooler:

BMWHaus Contributor

I picked up a Granada cosworth this way, about 3 years after I put a note on the windscreen the guy rings me out of the blue.
    I'd call to the door in a similar BMW even if you have to borrow it for the day if the man see's you as an enthusiast and not a wheeler dealer/ scrap-merchant he should be ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinF
    I picked up a Granada cosworth this way
    Still have it? Pics?

Just remembered after selling the 318is from the above post, I was walking past a house in town where there was another E36 parked for a while.

Anyway went in and knocked on the door.... Guys mam answers and I explain that I just sold mine and would be interested if it was for sale, She rang her son... Turned out it was for sale, But just way overpriced. :smiling:

Quote Originally Posted by KevinF
    I'd call to the door in a similar BMW even if you have to borrow it for the day if the man see's you as an enthusiast and not a wheeler dealer/ scrap-merchant he should be ok with it.
    It might take more than that NOT to give him that impression