Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E36 318is not blowing hot?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

E36 318is not blowing hot?

So I appear to have fallen victim to another "normal" E36 issue just in time for the cold weather! :surprised:

I get plenty of air through the vents sadly this is cold. I get the odd small bit of luke warm air when the car is not under a heavy load but other than that it's cold and in the mornings it's a real bitch!

It's non digital aircon, so I have put the temp up and down, rotated the air flow dial and can hear the flap moving so it's not that and also as I have air the motor/fan is working. She is also up to the level with water/coolant. Thermostat is fine and on the level.

So my options are the resistor, HCV or bleed it?

Just wondering if any of ye fine people have had a similar issue so I could save some time and also avoid frostbite!

Thanks

Dave

RE: E36 318is not blowing hot?

Have you enough coolant?
    Happened to me and coolant levels were okay but their was also air in the system.

No harm to drain it and put in some fresh anti-freeze and bleed the system properly then.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BMW
    Have you enough coolant?
    Happened to me and coolant levels were okay but their was also air in the system.

No harm to drain it and put in some fresh anti-freeze and bleed the system properly then.
    Yeah she's grand for the levels. Which is why my assumption is it is something else. I intend to bleed her tomorrow if I get the chance.

Other than that? Anyone here cleaned the HCV before and if so what did you use?

BMWHaus Guru

Excuse my ignorance lads, but how does a lack of coolant make the fan blow cold air??

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by E36
    Excuse my ignorance lads, but how does a lack of coolant make the fan blow cold air??
    Basically coolant/antifreeze provides a higher boiling point and lower freezing point than just water. So in effect allows the engine to heat (but not overheat) as a result then heats the air.

Not well explained and open to correction.

ps excellent question!

It doesn't.

You need to bleed the system, could be some air remaining after the last time it was bled becoming more evident in the current temps.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FunkySeeFunkyDoo
    It doesn't.

You need to bleed the system, could be some air remaining after the last time it was bled becoming more evident in the current temps.
    I just noticed I misread his question :sad::hehe!:

BMWHaus Guru

E36 318is not blowing hot?

Thermostat?

Sent forward in time from my Nokia 3210

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer
    Thermostat?

Sent forward in time from my Nokia 3210
    Could be if the dial is lying to me but she seems to be okay on the dial. I'd like to avoid pulling that and the HCV if possible. She heats up and sticks to the middle of the dial as always?

BMWHaus Guru

Bled this and while there is now heat the car seems to lose it when accelerating but then it returns and will stay when car is at a constant speed.

Car is m42 with a viscous fan and this is also working as it should.

There are no leaks, thermostat is fine afaik, pipes going through firewall from HCV have a good temp,water flowing into the expansion tank etc

I'm at a bit of a loss on this?

Waterpump? Warped head?

Anyone?