Thread: Oil consumption.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oil consumption.

I have 2002 520i sport, it seem to be using a bit of oil. I had a yellow oil can come onto today when i stopped the car, when i dipped it it was a little low. Car has 130 k on it. Im going to reset the milage on the trip computer and see how long it takes for it to get lowish again.

Ive heard the ccv? (<--- think thats what It is called) Can cause this issue if it gets clogged or blocked. Cant send the oil so just dumps it back in the head hence oil usage. Is this located at the front near the oil cap? As i took this pipe off and it cracked on the flexi ( have a temp repair done) but their looked to be a good bit of crap built up inside it.

RE: Oil consumption.

Its also showing an engine light now, i presume thats the broken pipe only came on after it broke.

Re: Oil consumption.

Ccv is a common failure point on the m54 but the engine in general loves to use oil I dip mine every fortnight regardless if the light is on or not just a habit iv gotten into

Picture below showing the ccv assembly I had an open cut image of it fitted to the engine cant find it now though
    Attached Images Attached Images

Can you buy parts seperatly? I need the vent pipe now after it broke.

Yep you can buy them separately from the dealers theres a heap of info in here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5989962

Realoem is also an excellent resource for parts diagrams part numbers and rough pricing

Cool thanks, ill have to order the part tomorrow so, will the car be ok to drive with the vent pipe broken? Ive got an engine light on the dash.

Ordered the whole ccv kit, should be here by thursday. Then will give it a whirl fitting it meant to be a pig of a job but should be fun.

Sorry I missed your question just tape the pipe up should be fine to drive with