Thread: Freeview sat question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Freeview sat question

Im absolutely hopeless at this tv stuff I dont understand it in the slightest

Basically I have a dish down the end of the garden its dead as far as I know the wiring does nothing

I have upc downstairs but they want 50e per room to connect us upstairs screw that il eventually be ditching them altogether

Im looking to get bbc e4 channel 4 etc into the bedroom as cheap as possible what do I need lads
    ?

A freeview box and some cable to run from the dish will that do

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Freeview sat question

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Im absolutely hopeless at this tv stuff I dont understand it in the slightest

Basically I have a dish down the end of the garden its dead as far as I know the wiring does nothing

I have upc downstairs but they want 50e per room to connect us upstairs screw that il eventually be ditching them altogether

Im looking to get bbc e4 channel 4 etc into the bedroom as cheap as possible what do I need lads
    ?

A freeview box and some cable to run from the dish will that do

Well if your dish in the garden is pointing astra 28.2E which is the sky/freesat satellite, you will just need is a set top-box which you can but a cheap one from maplin or spend a little more on an Freesat Box with HD and you get the interactive functions on also.

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Freeview sat question

As above as far as the dish is concerned but if you want to go cheaper again get an old skybox on adverts for a couple of quid will do the same job,with the addition of a magic eye set up you can route to as many rooms as you want (same channel though)

BMWHaus Guru

Freeview sat question

Assuming you dish wiring is dead,Would it not be simpler to run cable yourself from your UPC to upstairs?
    You'll get the Upc terrestrial service which has the usual channels bbc sky discovery news mtv etc..

Straightforward run of coax cable to the bedroom.
    That's how ours is done.
    You just need to replace the standard 1-2 splitter that UPC supply for a 1-3 or 1-4 however many extra connections you want. I got 4 way in power city for just a few €

Then a coax cable from the splitter to you upstairs tv(screw connection downstairs push-in connection upstairs.

Re: Freeview sat question

Thanks for the input lads

@john the dish worked perfect when I first moved in a few years ago then upc came to the area and all of a sudden it was gone still to this dont understand how :huh:

I might do that split thing , do you know if upc uses some kind of special cable or is it just standard pipe wire

Edit:nevermind I see you say coaxial cable

John is this all id need or am I missing something

http://www.powercity.ie/index.php?par=30-70&cat=Radios,%20Headphones,%20Remotes,%20HDD%20,% 20Memory%20&action=brandstory
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Guru

Freeview sat question

Looks about right Gar, that's the splitter I used, just once you have plenty of cable length to go upstairs. It may be cheaper to buy a length of cable and the right ends to make up the cable once installed.

Cool cheers john