Thread: My mechanics been a bold boy!

My mechanics been a bold boy!

A tale of caution!

I tought I had a oil filter housing gasket leak on my E46 1.9 so I got a gasket and o rings and was goin to give it to my mechanic who has done work for me and family for years, but he was too busy so I said feck it ill do it myself looked at a few diy guides online and off I went!

Car was serviced by said mechanic 3k ago so I didnt drain the oil just striped it down till I got to the housing, with everything out of the way I could see the oil was coming from the oil filter cup where it screws together so opened the filter and what meet me was a shock! The filter was deformed and compleatly blocked no feckin way only 3k on it, its so blocked it caused the o rings to go completely flat and let oil leak out of the filter cup!

Hard to get a good pic but its worse than it looks. So the last time I send any work to that lad! Very pissed off over it could have screwed the engine for the cost of a filter.

Diy from now on atleast ill know its done!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

BMWHaus Guru

RE: My mechanics been a bold boy!

Not good at all if he just put the old one back in, but have seen cheap filters going to shite aswell so maybe ask him what filter he used first

BMWHaus Guru

The exact same happened mine when I used a cheap non-branded filter. It collapsed just like that.

I now only use the likes of MANN, knecht, Mahle etc...

Lesson learned: Don't accept whatever the motor factors give you.
    Demand a quality brand.

Re: My mechanics been a bold boy!

Its a mann filter marked on top! I usually buy the parts and get him to do it,

But even the worst filter wouldnt go like that in 3k? The o rings were flatend even! Makes me wonder now did he put the castrol edge iv been buying in all along or some crap from a barrel.

I'd rather do it myself in future at least I'll know whats done for sure, its funny though you send a lad a bit of work and they take the mick!

BMWHaus Guru

Wow, I'm surprised then. A Mann filter shouldn't go like that. He must have used cheap crap oil or worse still not change it at all....

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BannerBmw
    Well then that's not good, id confront him over it personally if it was me, hate seen people taking the mick like that.

Re: RE: My mechanics been a bold boy!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyFish
    Quote Originally Posted by BannerBmw
    Well then that's not good, id confront him over it personally if it was me, hate seen people taking the mick like that.
    Oh dont worry Ill be having a word, never again will he touch any car of anyone I know, pure piss take!

On a positive note, now you know how easy it is to do a proper oil service, you'll save yourself money AND have the satisfaction of knowing it's done right[FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

BMWHaus Guru

Just watch that sump nut (learned the hard way myself lol)