Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW diagnostic equipment.

BMWHaus Contributor

BMW diagnostic equipment.

I don't know if anyone else is the same but I know I could do with a fault reader. Does anyone know of a decent item and also, what would I need to spend to get something more advanced that could code?

Sent from my Vodafone 858 using Tapatalk 2

RE: BMW diagnostic equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dod
    I don't know if anyone else is the same but I know I could do with a fault reader. Does anyone know of a decent item and also, what would I need to spend to get something more advanced that could code?

I just bought these last week.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3306068678...84.m1497.l2649
    And
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3308878380...84.m1497.l2649

Haven't got it yet but have a tracking number and it's on it's way. I was going to do lots of research on line but instead I had a quick look on here, looked at the cost and decided it was worth taking a chance rather than spending hours reading various internet experts opinions. I'll post back here once I get to try it out.

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: BMW diagnostic equipment.

Yeah, please do. I'm in the middle of an engine swap and the dash and sooooo many other things need to be changed itd be as handy for me to have my own gear.

Yeah, please do. I'm in the middle of an engine swap and the dash and sooooo many other things need to be changed itd be as handy for me to have my own gear.

Well I got the discs and cables last night and installed them on a netbook. Everything went OK although it took a while.
    Didn't read any of the manuals but plugged it in today and got it to read error codes with INPA on my car so that much is working fine. Was able to look at the live data as well.

I've an E36 so there is probably a lot of functionality that isn't available compared to the later cars.
    Now to figure out the error codes and which ones I should react to vs. which ones are always there once you plug it in in a certain state.

Quote Originally Posted by gn3dr

Well I got the discs and cables last night and installed them on a netbook. Everything went OK although it took a while.
    Didn't read any of the manuals but plugged it in today and got it to read error codes with INPA on my car so that much is working fine. Was able to look at the live data as well.

I've an E36 so there is probably a lot of functionality that isn't available compared to the later cars.
    Now to figure out the error codes and which ones I should react to vs. which ones are always there once you plug it in in a certain state.
    do you really can see live data on your e36 via usb cable?
    to read e36 propertly you have to have tiny ads interface and use rs232
    port.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tiny-ADS-Interface-for-BMW-INPA-DIS-EDIABAS-/261213787804?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3 cd18e169c
    i did set my self with this stuff, altough it took me a long time, and to get laptop with real rs323 port, but at least now i can see older e36's

Quote Originally Posted by armando

port.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tiny-ADS-Interface-for-BMW-INPA-DIS-EDIABAS-/261213787804?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3 cd18e169c
    i did set my self with this stuff, altough it took me a long time, and to get laptop with real rs323 port, but at least now i can see older e36's
    Hi. Yes live data, see my other post here http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=1965 with some screenshots. I presume we are talking about the same thing when we say live - actual readings as they happen e.g. revs, lambda, speed, temp etc.

Quote Originally Posted by armando

port.
    Hi. Yes live data, see my other post here http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=1965 with some screenshots. I presume we are talking about the same thing when we say live - actual readings as they happen e.g. revs, lambda, speed, temp etc.
    try, to read older e36. i did try exactly same setup as you have there, and no luck at all, on my 93y e36. never mind live data.
    there for i had to go long way and i made my own diagnostic cable, and now im able to read my e36. also i had to get older files for inpa, that wasnt included in the cd's, to fully read e36 before 96y. im sure you would have same issue, if you would try an older brain to read:wink:

BMWHaus Contributor

So can these units code as well?

So can these units code as well?

its all depending on ecu and car. if you have e39/e46 upwards, the standart usb cable will be ok, if you have e36/e34 you will need tiny ads interface for coding

BMWHaus Contributor

Cheers Lads, appreciate the input.