Thread: E36 318is DISA valve

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

E36 318is DISA valve

Has anyone here had trouble with the DISA valve in the intake manifold? It's the one that switched inlet tract length. What are the failure symptoms you have seen if you have.
    Any idea if they are only available from BMW?
    Is the e46 one the same as the e36?

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E36 318is DISA valve

Not sure if they are the same identical unit between e46 and e36, but I had one go on an e46 and the diagnostics were showing up misfires on chamber 4 and 6 I think, also the check engine light was constantly coming on but I can't remember what the codes were exactly as it was around 3-4 years ago!
    I had my e46 in with AC nearly twice a month every month trying to source the problem as the DISA would not throw up any error as such, as in a DISA error, so by process of elimination the MAF was changed, coil packs changed, the list goes on.... No one ever thought of the DISA because at the time, they were such a rare occurrence that they were overlooked every time!
    I had the option of having the new MAF and other bits and pieces taken out after the faulty DISA was identified but for piece of mind I decided to leave them in along with a new DISA because sure enough if they were swapped back out then the old units would end up dying on me anyway!

Sorry if that's not what you're looking for but hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    Not sure if they are the same identical unit between e46 and e36, but I had one go on an e46 and the diagnostics were showing up misfires on chamber 4 and 6 I think, also the check engine light was constantly coming on but I can't remember what the codes were exactly as it was around 3-4 years ago!
    I had my e46 in with AC nearly twice a month every month trying to source the problem as the DISA would not throw up any error as such, as in a DISA error, so by process of elimination the MAF was changed, coil packs changed, the list goes on.... No one ever thought of the DISA because at the time, they were such a rare occurrence that they were overlooked every time!
    I had the option of having the new MAF and other bits and pieces taken out after the faulty DISA was identified but for piece of mind I decided to leave them in along with a new DISA because sure enough if they were swapped back out then the old units would end up dying on me anyway!

Sorry if that's not what you're looking for but hope it helps!
    Thanks for that
    Yeah there doesn't seem to be much infom out there on them. I can see on the web that they sometimes break up and sometimes the diaphragm in them splits. I need to have a closer look at the diaphragm in mine. Started taking it out the other night but there is no room to pull it as the ABS block is in the way so I couldn't see the diaphragm.

Priced one yesterday in dealers - expensive little feckers for what they are

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by gn3dr
    Has anyone here had trouble with the DISA valve in the intake manifold? It's the one that switched inlet tract length. What are the failure symptoms you have seen if you have.
    I think I have one of these still attached to the manifold somewhere in the shed.

Can have a look for you this eve?

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    I think I have one of these still attached to the manifold somewhere in the shed.

Yeah sure fi you woudln't mind. There is a guy down here in Kerry quite near to me that breaks e36's as well so I shoudl be able to get one if I need it. The question is really if all 2nd hand ones will have similar wear.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Venom

Yeah sure fi you woudln't mind. There is a guy down here in Kerry quite near to me that breaks e36's as well so I shoudl be able to get one if I need it. The question is really if all 2nd hand ones will have similar wear.
    I'll have a look. :wink: