Thread: E36 318IS LSD questions

BMWHaus Guru

E36 318IS LSD questions

Hi All,

I am buying an OEM LSD for my 318IS.

Details are:

188 lsd oem 3.65 small case LSD

Some pictures

It's meant to be a genuine LSD from a 318IS. I've googled till I turn blue in the face and I can't see this ratio LSD for a BMW? The only real result showing is it could be a E9X motorsport LSD. So I'm a wee bit stumped.

Available ratios: http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm

I know it will work fine as I have been in the sellers (a friend, most will know) 318IS and it works. I'm worried it may be a bit tired I plan on new seals and oil (maybe plates) as preventative steps.

I'm not buying for sideways (well okay a little :tounge more for traction etc. So understandably I'd like to know what I'm getting as I've read once the small case goes it's done and cannot be rebuilt?

Any help please? Thanks

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E36 318IS LSD questions

To start Dave small case diffs are 168mm so this may be effecting your search. 188 is the medium case diff.
    3.64 ratio diffs were in Z4s and e46s so maybe that's what it is
    As far as I'm aware the problem with a small case diff is that the internal LSD housing can crack if it gets enough abuse

BMWHaus Contributor

Hard to know from those pics what that diff is out of. As said above 188 is a much stronger diff Togo for.
    E90 never used a 168 diff as far as I know.

BMWHaus Contributor

ahh I thought it was a 188 case, must a mixed that up..it's the diff out a my car, ratio wise was told it was a 3.65 lsd from a e30 built into that case. 25% been the standard BMW lock .I've broke open diffs but this one has been faultless for me. this could be down to been always cautious, never drifting in the dry, no shock to the drivetrain ie no full bore clutch kick transitions..I guess it was always on my mind that if I broke it that was that..spose oil changed with 75/140 and a full rebuild helps alot ratio is brilliant, leaves other is's no problem in a straight, tops out on the limit in 5th at an indicated 140mph so maybe a true 130 and sits at 100km/hr in top at 3050rpm I'm nearly sure