Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another MPG Thread!

BMWHaus Guru

Another MPG Thread!

Hey all,

Have a question about my 328i about MPG. The last tank that I put into her the consumption worked out as 20.8MPG, its seem very low. It was all city miles and I havent been driving the snot out of her either. Its basically my trip from inchicore out to citywest to work and back everyday.

She has been recently serviced, and I checked last night to see if there was a seized caliper but all was okay. What are my options?

Suppose the best thing is probably to get codes read?

Just seems a tad low, both the e46 330i and the M3 that I had used to do better mileage than that!
    E92 Interlagos Blue M3 - Current
    F10 Sophisto Grey 530d M-Sport - Sold
    F21 M135i Estoril Blue - Sold
    E92 Sapphire Black 335d M-Sport
    - Sold
    E36 328i SE Low Miler - Sold
    E46 Estoril Blue M3 - Sold
    E46 Titan Silver 330ci Clubsport - Sold
    E36 Cosmos Black 318is - Dead

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Another MPG Thread!

If it was pure city driving, bumper to bumper then it would seem reasonable. I was getting 21 on commute from Ashtown to Park West but that was with heavy traffic

BMWHaus Guru

I'm open to correction on this, but I think the 328 has the highest emmission levels and is the heaviest engine for fuel consumption and because of this the NCT have their limits for the 3 series based on this engine. This is just what I heard to a question I asked when I got a conversion from a 318 to a 3.0 M3 engine a few years back in my e36, and I was concerned about cunsumption and emmissions!

BMWHaus Guru

Yeah it may just be the engine itself, just seemed a little low after the last two cars that I had had larger displacements. Maybe its just that they are more modern engines?

It doesnt really bother me too much, even at 20.8mpg, the tank still lasted me over three weeks To be honest was expecting to be getting at least 25mpg or so out of her city driving but I take it this is normal then?

Newlands cross is bumper to bumper but apart from than its normal enough driving.
    - Sold

BMWHaus Guru

I had an e46 325ci and was lucky if I got 26-27 out of her on the motorway! Didn't really do a lot of city driving or combined though!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron
    Newlands cross is bumper to bumper but apart from than its normal enough driving.
    MPG for a Prius at Newlands Cross would be 6-8mpg :hehe!::hehe!:

That does look a bit low to me, there could be something on its way out causing it to be heavy on juice

BMWHaus Guru

The 528 with the auto had an average of 25.8mpg when I checked last night, have yet to drive it so dunoo what type of driving that was but I was getting that from the 520 manual when I had it.

Seems very low for a car that doesn't weight that much for the size of the engine?

Cold mornings? Is it heating up right? What plugs did you put into it?

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChrispyFish
    The 528 with the auto had an average of 25.8mpg when I checked last night, have yet to drive it so dunoo what type of driving that was but I was getting that from the 520 manual when I had it.

Seems very low for a car that doesn't weight that much for the size of the engine?

Cold mornings? Is it heating up right? What plugs did you put into it?
    Yep its heating up right, starting from cold to and from work, takes me about a half an hour each way. The needle gets up to half way after about five minutes or so.

I put a set of Bosch sparkplugs in her, but this is the first tank I've paid attention to my mileage since I got her.

The only thing I can read is maybe a dodgy camshaft sensor? Might be over fueling? Prob best to wait to see if any codes are showing before I start replacing things?

Thanks lads
    The 330i I had used to get 30-31mpg at 80mph on the motorway! around 25 tipping about town so getting a little over 20mpg seems rather low.
    - Sold

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ketron

The only thing I can read is maybe a dodgy camshaft sensor? Might be over fueling? Prob best to wait to see if any codes are showing before I start replacing things?

Thanks lads
    The 330i I had used to get 30-31mpg at 80mph on the motorway! around 25 tipping about town so getting a little over 20mpg seems rather low.
    Yeah it might be best to get the codes read. You should go on a motorway run and see what sort of mpg you get too.

I've moved offices so no longer bumper to bumper and im getting 34 on the mifty:happy: