Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impressions so far.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Impressions so far.

Well i have had the car over a month now and the reasults aren't good. Never owned a bmw before this and im hugely dissapointed tbh. I know its not an m3 or m5 but i was expecting so much more. Only thing it has going really is comfort and the build quality. gearbox is shockingly awful 1st gear is hopeless in it, engine isn't the greatest but not bad in 3rd and 4th gear. The volume on the stereo has a mind of its own,not good when it decides full volume is needed when it see's fit so my radio stays off most of the time. Never thought id say i regret getting rid of my renault for this. Its an 02 520i sports btw, think i wasnt ready for this type of car yet.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: Impressions so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek.e39
    Well i have had the car over a month now and the reasults aren't good. Never owned a bmw before this and im hugely dissapointed tbh. I know its not an m3 or m5 but i was expecting so much more. Only thing it has going really is comfort and the build quality. gearbox is shockingly awful 1st gear is hopeless in it, engine isn't the greatest but not bad in 3rd and 4th gear. The volume on the stereo has a mind of its own,not good when it decides full volume is needed when it see's fit so my radio stays off most of the time. Never thought id say i regret getting rid of my renault for this. Its an 02 520i sports btw, think i wasnt ready for this type of car yet.
    What were you expecting if I may ask?

Sounds like you have drive train issues as you mentioned oil consumption in a previous post?

When you say first gear is bad? in what way?

Also did you come from a clio to a much heavier car which proportionately could be considered under powered as they are available with much larger engines?

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying your first beemer.

BMWHaus Contributor

did you test drive the car before buying,thats the time to moan and not buy it,the 520 isn't quick and wasn't meant to be,ive a 520 and have none of the problems you describe,why did you buy it if you don't like it?

BMWHaus Guru

Yeah the engine is too small for the car, hence why 1st an 2nd are useless. The minimum these should of been sold in should have been the 2.5.

So is it just the engine and gearbox you don't like? I reckon a bigger engine would be what you want, maybe sell it and go for a 530d with a remap

Administrator

Surpised to hear that!

Take it the car is a manual - known issue with the 1st to 2nd gear change - removing the Clutch Delay Valve might help.
    The 2.2l in manual is just about enough for a car the size of a 5er. Ive a 2.5 Auto in mine, and its not amazing, but grand for what I need.
    The radio is noise sensitive, so a higher speeds it raises in volume to overcome road noise....neat feature if you ask me. Having said that, sometimes if someone lowers the radio using the knob it shoots up in volume initally, but then goes down, but not a major issue, as its normally controlled on the steering wheel.

One thing I find in the 5er is that the perception of speed is a lot different...you dont feel like you are going fast. I travel to work early in the morings, and tipping along thinking in my mind that Im doing approx 70mph, Im in fact doing a lot more as Ive no other moving traffic to reference the speed.
    A car that size, unless its an M is never going to blow you away...they are built to be motorway munchers.

Have you driven anything for a reasonable trip since buying the car....as any time I had to driver her Almera, I'd be damn glad getting back in the 5!

I think a bigger engine would be the ticket, who said i was moaning? just giving my impressions on the car. yes i test drove it first impressions were good just thought it would take time to get used to it. 1st gear is hopeless on the car, it just feels lazy and i have a friend with the same car that agree's so i doubt its my gearbox. the oil consumption was down to a goosed ccv.

Not sure what i expected tbh but everyone ive known with a bmw says once you buy one you will never buy a different car brand, great to drive etc.. which i don't think is the case, maybe i set the bar too high.

BMWHaus Guru

Look past the lack of power (the main thing by what it sounds like...) and see what you have got is a great car

BMWHaus Contributor

Did you try a range of E39s before you bought? is this a case of premature BMWlacation ?

My first BMW was a 318 and although people say its underpowered i thought it was great. I had owned 1.6 323F and 1.5 dohc 323 prior to that and have driven
    many other cars.

Which renualt was it you had?

I drove a few before i decided to buy, but you only to get to know a car properly when you own it. i had a clio 172. i know its a completely different car etc.. but was 100 times better for excitement ,driving experience. i know the 5 is not meant to excite just eat up miles maybe i went sensible to early.

BMWHaus Contributor

I drove a few before i decided to buy, but you only to get to know a car properly when you own it. i had a clio 172. i know its a completely different car etc.. but was 100 times better for excitement ,driving experience. i know the 5 is not meant to excite just eat up miles maybe i went sensible to early.
    Chalk and cheese man, Is not that the E39 is bad as such, its an entry level engine in a large comfortable cruiser.

Im not sure what you expected to be brutally honest. You could sell it and buy something more appropriate to your expectations. If matching the clio was more what you want i suppose.

either way best of luck.