Thread: E60 M5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

E60 M5

Had a spin in a mate of mine M5 today he has had it for the past few months and I finally got round to getting behind the drivers seat!! I was looking forward to comparing the drive to the M3. Now I have been a passenger before and it was awesome so I knew I was in for a treat! All I can say is holy s**t the raw power is just indescribable 100mph in 3rd not a bother the exhaust notes humming away.. the handling, acceleration all effortless such a smashing car! I still have a stupid grin on my face

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E60 M5

Couldnt aggree more. Epic performance.

But after a few weeks I'd be wanting to set it and its nonsense gearbox on fire!

I couldnt live with one at all!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorB
    Couldnt aggree more. Epic performance.

But after a few weeks I'd be wanting to set it and its nonsense gearbox on fire!

I couldnt live with one at all!
    I was thinking the same, would hate to drive through town or built up areas in it on a daily basis.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Chillipepper
    Had a spin in a mate of mine M5 today he has had it for the past few months and I finally got round to getting behind the drivers seat!! I was looking forward to comparing the drive to the M3. Now I have been a passenger before and it was awesome so I knew I was in for a treat! All I can say is holy s**t the raw power is just indescribable 100mph in 3rd not a bother the exhaust notes humming away.. the handling, acceleration all effortless such a smashing car! I still have a stupid grin on my face
    Your M3 will do 100mph in 3rd gear too, but you'll be on 7900rpm and about to shift to 4th

BMWHaus Contributor

I use one as a daily driver round town, its not bad at all. Not as smooth as an auto but far less jerky than the average manual driver. There was a gearbox software update in 2007 that sorted out most of the issues. Its adaptive to your driving style, if you hop into one for a short period it will bounce all over the place until it get used to the weight of your right foot (takes about a week). When it starts its in very slow mode trying to get to 7th as fast as possible which can leave you out of gear mid corner or at inconvenient times. I just put it in fast change or manual shift straight away.

Compared to a e92 M3 with DCT it is a piece of crap, but nowhere near as bad as people make out or Clarkson says.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Moe
    I use one as a daily driver round town, its not bad at all. Not as smooth as an auto but far less jerky than the average manual driver. There was a gearbox software update in 2007 that sorted out most of the issues. Its adaptive to your driving style, if you hop into one for a short period it will bounce all over the place until it get used to the weight of your right foot (takes about a week). When it starts its in very slow mode trying to get to 7th as fast as possible which can leave you out of gear mid corner or at inconvenient times. I just put it in fast change or manual shift straight away.

Compared to a e92 M3 with DCT it is a piece of crap, but nowhere near as bad as people make out or Clarkson says.
    +1 to all of the above. I find driving the thing in automatic to be head-wrecking. The lower settings change gear too early but are very lazy and the higher ones will give you surprise whiplash. In manual and on a fast-shift setting it's fine.