Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e39 suspension

BMWHaus Contributor

e39 suspension

since one of my springs broke in the middle I don't trust the rest,had a look online and cant find new original m sport springs,theres lowering springs but I want to keep original height and not go for coilovers either,anyone know what msport springs sell for new..
    is there a difference through the range,i got a shock and spring from a 528 msport few days ago and fitted it today and theres a noticeable height difference.i know the car the shock came from and its definitely a 528 msport,funny as well as the lad that owned the car said his car looked higher than mine..any help appreciated.

BMWHaus Guru

RE: e39 suspension

Is your car a 528?

The best option really is the eibach pro kit springs, I think there is something like a 10mm difference in ride height between m sport and the pro kit.

Re: e39 suspension

There are two msport suspension setup's

M sport suspension - prefacelift

M sport II suspension - facelift

the original springs from bmw are $$$ as siad above eibach would be you best choice if you go for the prokit thats the closest you can get to the original very slight drop maybe 10mm

BMWHaus Contributor

my e39 is a 2 litre,shock was from same year 528.will be hopeing to replace shocks as well but its all depending on cash,owe few quid to a member for wheels so have to pay that first so be mid January,dont want any lower than original msport as ive a splitter I got of cab to fit ,
    thanks for your replys,will research a bit and sort it out,just when one spring broke in the centre I wouldn't be trusting the rest,

Its not something iv ever come across to be honest and I spend a bit of time on a 5 series forum I know its very common for the rear e46 springs to snap , you can get e39 eibach kits delivered from german ebay for around 170e all in cheapest iv seen them anywere for a 5 series

Was the 528 an original sport ,was the shock original ,your other shock could be shot while the other from the 528 perfect or vice versa ,plenty of factors to consider thats why its recommend to replace in pairs

BMWHaus Guru

is the 528 engine not heavier, I would have thought that the cars would have had a different spring rate to cope with the heavier motor, I know the shocks are all the same but I'm nearly certain the springs aren't, it would explain the higher stance.

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    is the 528 engine not heavier, I would have thought that the cars would have had a different spring rate to cope with the heavier motor, I know the shocks are all the same but I'm nearly certain the springs aren't, it would explain the higher stance.
    agree,just gets me through the xmas week,ya was having a look allright and eibach sprngs and some new shocks will be nice to get,
    the shock from the 528 is a Monroe one.and hasn't a lot of miles on it,
    will see how much cab can do it for anyway..
    its very odd anyway to be sitting in car not moving and for spring to break in the middle,dropped about 2 inches,drove slowly to nearest garage who wouldn't even look at it as I didn't buy it there,got it home that day but very slowly..

Ah thats the problem the shock is more then likely a non sport aftermarket replacement

Edit: on the springs theres a tiny difference there marked with small coloured dots usually blue to show which is which

BMWHaus Guru

the shocks wouldn't really effect the ride height

Not as much as a spring but will still effect it , but the shock was not original so maybe the springs not either