Thread: E36 318is rear knock?

E36 318is rear knock?

Well lads! Have a 318is e36 here. Which im after fitting a 318is LSD to about a month ago. Have noticed in the past week that when I take of from a junction there is a thud kinda noise coming from the rear.. also happens if I accelerate hard and leave off accelerator. Doesnt happen if a go to change gear while accelerating or when cruising along... Ive had a quick look at all the bolts and they seem to be all tight. Havent had a chance to check with spanners tho as had no access to a jack and my tools.. any one any ideas what I should be looking for? Bushings? Loose bolt maybe? Drive? Prop related?! Anyone experience anything like this before? Would it be making the thud cause its an LSD? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as its starting to annoy me and dont wana break anything either.. thanks in advance lads!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E36 318is rear knock?

Think you pretty much said all options and won't be till you look..... I'd be inclined to say bushes normally but seeing as you've only put in the lsd might be an idea to make sure all is torqued down? Also did you have a spin outta what ever the diff came out of? Is it tired?

Ya thats the first thing ill be checking. Hopefully thats all it is something might of come loose. No didnt get a spin with the diff in the other car. It seemed good and tight tho. Didnt seem to be any play either side or anything like that. Would I be right in saying it shouldnt be makeing any noises tho?!

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rusted86
    Ya thats the first thing ill be checking. Hopefully thats all it is something might of come loose. No didnt get a spin with the diff in the other car. It seemed good and tight tho. Didnt seem to be any play either side or anything like that. Would I be right in saying it shouldnt be makeing any noises tho?!

don't have one in my IS (yet) afaik they shouldnt make a bang. When you say a bang are you giving it a sudden shot to the drive train like clutch kicking?

Looked at the the bolts today and all are tight. The noise is only happeneing when I engage first at a junction or decelerate after putting the boot down.. not clutch kicking it or anything like that. Just normal enough driving. The quest continues.. I think it could be something to do with the subframe bushings.. anyone experience this before?!

BMWHaus Contributor

Have you tried any of the cv joints on the drive or propshafts for excessive movement?

had a good look at this the other day and decided to give the bolts on the subframe a squeese just to check. got about 3/4 of a turn on one and less then half on the other front one... the knocking seems to have gone away so delighted again. thanks for the suggestions lads....