Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: e39 suspension

BMWHaus Guru

e39 suspension

So the next big purchase will be coilovers. Im not going to put cheap coilovers into it so going the BC route at the least.

Question is, what other options are there? I see Eibach do a Pro Street coilover, I had their spring before and loved them so would they be worth the extra over BC? I plan to keep the car long term and do plan a trip to the ring when its all done to give her a treat but at the end of the day its no M so is there a point in going to extremes when the BCs could be good enough???

Also another option would be a damper and spring combo but that is limited to height, I would love to be able to put it lowish and then raise it when/if needed. What options are there in going down this road that would work well.

Feel free to express what ever, im open to options and opinions. Its going to be a while before I have the funds for them, might need to shift on some wheels to get them :crying:

@[kaveman] you might be the man here to ask as you have had both

for reference:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/EIBACH-Pro-Street-S-COILOVER-KIT-BMW-5-E39-95-03-PSS65-20-005-01-22-/270999505941?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item3f18d44c15

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BC-Racing-Coilovers-BR-series-BMW-5-series-E39-Saloon-1996-2003-/161073394776?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item2580b8f458

Re: e39 suspension

These could be another option in the sponsor section

Il be going monroe msport shock + eibach all round if I ever have the money spare

But im not looking to go low more just freshen it up

Bc's are hard to beat in the price range
    Attached Images Attached Images

BMWHaus Guru

RE: e39 suspension

http://www.bmwhaus.ie/forum/showthread.php?tid=1341

BMWHaus Contributor

Cab at Super 4 does BC coilovers and going to be ordering a set for the e36 in January, all I have heard about BC coil overs is good feedback.

BMWHaus Guru

e39 suspension

Chris,
    The best e39 I have been in is Phil's m5, it's comfy yet handles well and can even be driven through Baldoyle :-)

I think it has blistein b9s in it but I'm not sure of springs. Conor probably knows the detail. If I had an e39 I'd just copy that formula.

Alternatively, how about bags if you want to go low?

Hi Chris i had the B8s and eibach pro kit and it was way too stiff even with 16" wheels also it had a terrible stance the rear was too high. Actually i think the fronts failed on the B8s very early in their life, healyc said that guys M5 had the B8s on the front fail too.

Then i had KW street comforts, they weren't great either, again i had the fronts fail on me without much mileage. So then i went with BCs from proparts because they seemed good value and feedback was good and they were adjustable at the back even after fitting. If i had any early failures like the others i could bring them back quite easily.
    I'm happy enough with them i must say. Not too harsh and easily adjusted from day to day.

BMWHaus Guru

Thanks lads keep it coming, im on the fence with the spring and shock combo as there is no adjusting and some work more then others, I drove DJCs e46 on the BC's and loved them!!!! Comfy and that was at its lowest with small tyres, im swaying the BC route but just want options so thanks for all them so far.

@[JohnH] Bags are for groceries will ask Conor

Ah I wanna make this more of a driving car then a low stretchy tyre horrible to drive VEHicle

BMWHaus Guru

This car is on Eibach pro springs, standard shocks and 15mm spacers front and 12mm rear.

Stance doesnt get much better imo.

Its all about the right combo of wheel, tyre and suspension drop to get the perfect stance and remain a good handling/driving car.

BMWHaus Guru

e39 suspension

Phil's M5 has B8s with Intrax springs all round. Ride is great but within the space of 7-8000mls I've replaced them all under warranty. Fronts due to play in the piston and rears failed NCT on imbalance.

BUT when it's all working its a fantastic set, comfy but planted and well able to cope with 650bhp

Have fitted a few sets of BCs at this stage and always very impressed with there quality. But like any other coilover it's all in the set up

What I've found is the E39 is ruined, absolutely horrible to drive when there "slammed" so if you do it to that car then ill chop your nuts off!

I do like that H&R cup kit, seems like good value but would like to see it fitted to another E39.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH
    Chris,
    The best e39 I have been in is Phil's m5, it's comfy yet handles well and can even be driven through Baldoyle :-)

I think it has blistein b9s in it but I'm not sure of springs. Conor probably knows the detail. If I had an e39 I'd just copy that formula.

Alternatively, how about bags if you want to go low?

BMWHaus Guru

I've been looking into this at length and these are the best options I've found for a spring and shock combination, I'm not too bothered with coilovers.

Saches OE Shock & Eibach Pro Kit
    Shocks @ €700 (£579.20) including VAT & Postage from C3 BMW
    Eibach Pro Kit @ €250 ish
    Total €950

From what I can tell this will give you the closest ride to stock, my concern is that shocks will suffer premature wear due to being 10mm lower than factory specification.

H&R Cup Kit
    Total €730 from Keith in Alloy wheels
    I can't really find any reviews with these fitted to an e39

Bilstein B12
    €1050

Countless reviews for the b12's, monotube shocks are apparently better for longevity. Stiffer ride but also apparently able to soak up the bumps.

Would it be worth looking into a group buy? there must be quite a number of e39 owners on the forum now who are looking at replacing shocks and springs.