Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New speeding clampdown with number plate technology on way

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

New speeding clampdown with number plate technology on way

NUMBER plate recognition technology will be introduced on Irish motorways to clamp down on speeding in a bid to reduce the number of road deaths.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-speeding-clampdown-with-number-plate-technology-on-way-29873591.html

Re: New speeding clampdown with number plate technology on way

Someone correct me here but how many people die on motorways in ireland ,the number is very very low iirc :huh::huh::huh::huh:

He's a fool that loves the sound of his voice :@

RE: New speeding clampdown with number plate technology on way

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Someone correct me here but how many people die on motorways in ireland ,the number is very very low iirc :huh::huh::huh::huh:

I wonder the same thing about the "safety" van that's regularly along the most congested part of the quays. They say they put them on roads where people have been killed by speeding, I haven't checked the records but I'm pretty sure there hasn't been anyone killed from going too fast in a car along there :huh:

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FunkySeeFunkyDoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gar

I wonder the same thing about the "safety" van that's regularly along the most congested part of the quays. They say they put them on roads where people have been killed by speeding, I haven't checked the records but I'm pretty sure there hasn't been anyone killed from going too fast in a car along there :huh:
    replace safety with cash

EDIT

http://www.irishspeedtraps.com/aboutus.aspx

BMWHaus Guru

Sounds daft but I think you's have a more of a problem with people driving too slow on the motorway such as a queue of balloons doing 60mph in the outside lane whilst the inside lane is empty......

And the majority of the roads deaths are in rural areas so clamping down on speeding on the motorway will do nothing but earn a bit more revenue.

Re: New speeding clampdown with number plate technology on way

When they installed the speed camera sections on the M50 people were nearly causing pile ups as they got near them and noticed the white markings they would jam on the brakes regardless of what was behind them (them cameras have never been activated) as it was a stupid idea just a waste of money again just like this brainfart

Another money making exercise
    Also DoktorB you are right about the problem with people driving too slow in the outside lane the n7 is especially bad

BMWHaus Guru

I think it's time we learn a thing or two from our friends across the pond... You know what they do to speed cameras? They shoot them

BMWHaus Guru

Some interesting points also being raised over on backroads

http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?11130-ANPR-CHA-CHING-on-way-%28Article%29

BMWHaus Guru

Unfortunately politicians listen to "advisors" and "advisors" read statistics.

The "advisors" read that road deaths have increased and the way to combat this is to reduce the number of speeding offences because the road deaths are caused by speeding or driving faster than the road conditions allow.

So he asks himself not where the highest number of deaths are? But where are the highest number of speeding offences???

Which draws him too the conclusion that the highest number of speeding offences will be the roads that see the heaviest traffic - motorways.

No doubt somebody in government has suggested to fix all the shitty back roads because thier condition is directly related to the number of road deaths.

But a few fancy speed camera's will be a fair bit cheaper compared to the billions required to sort the rural road network...... :wink: