No 10:

[align=center][/align]

"It’s a shame this Art Car can’t be seen out on the streets. How different the world would look with colourful cars! A question the Spanish artist, César Manrique probably asked himself. He certainly believed that, as everyday objects, cars play an essential role in the appearance of our surroundings. As well as being an architect, graphic designer, sculptor and landscape designer, Manrique was also a conservationist. This inspired him to design an Art Car that embodied a harmonious combination of technology and nature. ‘That’s why I thought of designing the car in such a way as to give the impression of being able to glide through the air without any resistance’, he explained. A great idea – well executed featuring rolling, sweeping lines and lively colours symbolising graceful motions. "

No 11:

[align=center][/align]

"There is a total of 8000 BMW Z1s all over the world, but only one like this. German artist A.R. Penck made sure of that by transforming this particular vehicle into a unique work of art. This bright red Art Car has been adorned with various symbols and images including the artist’s own legendary stick figures. Penck’s car was also inspired by the work of artists such as Picasso and Rembrandt, as well as by early cave painting and a fascination with mathematics and physics. ‘Art on art, art on technology; that grabbed my attention – particularly the idea of art on a 3D element’, stated Penck commenting on his high-tech masterpiece."

No 12:

[align=center][/align]

"The 12th Art Car was the first to have been signed by a woman. This is not the only fact that makes this BMW 525i so special. The South African artist Esther Mahlangu coated the bodywork of the car with the bright colours and clearly distinguishable ornamental shapes typical of her ethnic tribal Ndebele art. The ancient African art could not provide a more striking contrast to such a top-end, high speed, high-tech model capable of reaching 225 km/h. Esther was delighted that the Art Car managed to help introduce her tribal art to such a broad audience."

No 13:

[align=center][/align]

"Italian born painter Sandro Chia was contracted to paint a touring racing car prototype from the BMW 3 series. The silhouettes and portraits on the paintwork challenge the observer to consider looking at himself in the mirror. ‘A car is a coveted object in our society’. Chia explains that, as such a car is exposed to the stares of observers. ‘I decorated the surface of this car to represent these stares’.

Mobility is certainly of great importance to this artist as he often commutes between his homes in New York, London and Tuscany."

No 14:

[align=center][/align]

"On the 20.04.1995 the British born artist David Hockney placed his signature on the BMW 850CSi marking the completion of the 14th Art Car and several months of hard work. The artist aimed to portray the very innermost depths of the car. The result was an automobile whose contents were thoroughly turned out to the viewer. The more observant will notice the stylised suction vent on the bonnet and the contours of a driver on the door. Hockney was born in Bradford, England in 1937 and has been one of the most stunning and influential members of the art world since the early 1960s. "

No 15:

[align=center][/align]

"‘Protect me from what I want’. This and other provocative messages glare at the beholder from the otherwise white bodywork of the 15th Art Car. Instead of chrome, a light and shiny foil was used for the lettering to avoid increasing the weight of the BMW V12 LMR. The twelve cylinder 380 bhp BMW is a true work of art, and a racing car as was seen immediately at the 24-hour race in Le Mans where the 380 bhp Art Car was brought into contact with the tarmac of the racetrack to be presented to the world press after a special lap of honour. Known for being critical of western society, Holzer nevertheless grew up ‘surrounded by cars since I went to kindergarten’ as the daughter of a car dealer"

No 16:

[align=center][/align]

"How are the automobile industry and global warming related? The Danish artist Olafur Eliasson confronted a number of critical issues in generating his Art Car design. The bodywork of the BMW H2R, a hydrogen-powered car used to set speed records while also attempting to develop forward-thinking environmental friendliness, served as a creative stage. The artist removed the outer layer of the prototype and replaced it with a complex skin of steel meshing, shiny metal plates and numerous layers of ice. As with all of Eliasson’s artwork, this one also leaves plenty of room for speculation and discussion."

No 17:

[align=center][/align]

"This BMW M3 GT2 was aesthetically reworked by the US artist Jeff Koons and is the latest model in the BMW Art Cars series. It was unveiled to the world at the Centre Pompidou in Paris in June 2010 – to great acclaim! The media and art magazines from all over the world carried reports on the 17th model in the Art Car series. The car bears the racing number 79 – a tribute to the BMW M1 body work-over presented by Andy Warhol in 1979. The striking colours of Koons’ Art Car exude a boisterous sense of power, motion and energy. As with Warhol’s M1, Koons’ BMW also participated in the legendary Le Mans 24-hour race. Koons’ desire to paint up an Art Car was expressed in an interview way back in 2003; an honour for BMW as Koons is one of the most successful concept artists in the world. Even during the recent economic crisis his works demanded immense sums."