Thread: HELP!! LOOKING AT A CAR, ANY ADVICE?

HELP!! LOOKING AT A CAR, ANY ADVICE?

Hey Guys,

Need some advice about a car I'm going to see tomorrow, currently im driving a 03 A4 1.9TDi but its out of Nct and tax so need to get rid of it as cant afford the back tax (out since march) so getting rid of it. I was thinking of an Alfa 159 but I also like the old E39 msports so was browsing and saw this. its by far the cheapest i've seen. It doesnt have an NCT and needs anti roll bar bushings replaced, previously had a gearbox also replaced. looks straight in the pics but dont want to get fooled by that. Would appreciate any advice you guys have about how serious a job this could be or how the car sounds in the ad. or any pitfalls i should look out for on them? I'm well aware as to how complicated a machine there are. My own mechanic isnt familar with Bmw's so if anyone is bored tomorrow evening feel free to tag along haha

Link for the car is below

2003 BMW 530D Msport

Thanks guys, any feedback would be great

BMWHaus Guru

RE: HELP!! LOOKING AT A CAR, ANY ADVICE?

If your own car is out of NCT why would you consider another car with no NCT? If it were me I'd be looking to buy something taxed, tested and with comprehensive service history and details of any warranty work done, if any! Also, as mentioned, if you can't tax a 1.9, then a 3.0 probably isn't the right option!! Unless you get one with nearly a years tax on her!!

Re: HELP!! LOOKING AT A CAR, ANY ADVICE?

Im not really familiar with diesels but have an e39 close to 3 years now

Coolant system is the weakest link on them budget 500e for it if there is no history of it been changed

Arbs are around 40e for front same for rear but at 180k the suspension will need a change arms,tierods,bushings,probably shocks and springs too thats another 1k easy ,it might be fine to drive as is for the moment and you wont need to do this straight away

The gearbox been done is a big plus
    Just go out and view it start it from cold and let it idle while you look around it take it for a test drive on the motorway and backroads if possible

Thanks for the the feedback I understand the tax is high on it, my own situation was i simply let the tax run out and never declared it off the road in time before the law changed. I could afford the back tax, but its really not worth it. Theres a good few that are on the log book as a 2L Diesel, should i stay away from them?

BMWHaus Guru

HELP!! LOOKING AT A CAR, ANY ADVICE?

I'd stay far away from something that's not registered right if I was you.

Did you buy? I noticed the advert now marked as sold.

BMWHaus Contributor

Just change your car into someone else name and back to you and you no longer need to pay the back tax.