Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats in Super4 today

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Red face Whats in Super4 today

Hi Folks,

Hope you all had a nice Christmas and wishing you all a very Happy New Year for 2014. I decided to do thread for various workshop works carried out at Super4 from week to week. Some weeks the workshop shall be busy and others not so much at which point other tasks such as receiving and send out orders, updating forums and finalising the website are all continued.

I shall update this over the coming days to catch up to current time.

Thanks for looking .

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: Whats in Super4 today

Subscribed.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Whats in Super4 today

Hi folks,

Time to get this thread up to date starting with a coilover install on a customers car just before Christmas.

The car in question was a BMW E36 318is for JOM Blueline coilovers and Silver Project camber adjustable top mounts. Only a couple of pictures were snapped due to wanting to keep pressing on.

JOM Bluelines and Silver Project adjustable camber plates are available from Super4.

JOM Blueline coilovers & 10mm JOM NJT Spacers:

Silver Project Top Mounts :

Super4 BMW
    www.facebook.com/super4bmw

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

So 2014 started off with a very good customer of Super4 coming to visit with his E36 318i Touring for some minor jobs to keep it in good running order over the winter months. Its a low miler in Avus blue and we are slowly making it look more OEM Msport orientated whilst still very much keeping it a reliable and sensible daily driver. So far JOM coilovers and new top mounts all round have been fitted for a nice drop but still very usable, a full service has been carried out with GREEN performance panel air filter being installed to aid breathing and throttle response.

This time round the car in question came up for some maintenance work such as Thermostat, rocker cover gasket, boot dampers and brackets, Hella Aero wipers, wiper arms fixed, new badges etc. Here are some pics of when it first arrived in November for a service etc and some of it from January 2014

PLUG CHANGE : Out with the old and in with the new

AIR FILTER CHANGE : GREEN Performance panel filter installed

OIL FILTER & OIL CHANGE : New rubber O-rings fitted to filter housing

FUEL FILTER CHANGE :

TIME FOR A NEW ROCKER COVER GASKET : With it only slightly weeping it was making the timing chain cover look filthy so It was replaced and all dirt and oil cleaned up

Next on the list was a new thermostat as the old item was starting to fail causing the car to take an age to heat up, not good for fuel economy or performance.

OLD vs NEW :

HIDS installed :

JOM's INSTALL : The last job for now was to remove the old suspension and replace it with some JOM Blueline coilovers which shall offer just the right amount of low and still maintain everyday drivability and comfort. New top mounts all round were also fitted so as the job doesn't need to be done twice. This recommended when installing coilovers as they tend to accelerate the life of older items which then means it all has to come out again!!!.

JOM's BEFORE & AFTER :

All parts used are available to purchase from Super4 BMW, we carry service parts for most model BMW's.

Thanks for looking and to Harry for the photo's.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Bringing this thread update shall be this brute which was in last week for some exhaust work and a GREEN performance panel filter.

PARTS FITTED :

Schmiedmann x-pipes
    GREEN Performance panel air filter
    Carbon fibre fender grills

ORIGINAL AIR FILTER : Hadn't been changed for a while

GREEN PERFORMANCE PANEL FILTER :

THESE SHALL BE GOING :

AND GETTING REPLACED WITH SCHMIEDMANN X-PIPES :

Whilst removing the centre section from the Eisenmann exhaust I noticed the Eisenmann connecting pipes on both rear mufflers were exceptionally loose as they had not been clamped properly by the previous installer, thus the exhaust was blowing nicely and not giving the full crisp sound an Eisenmann should. This was easily rectified when the system was being put back together.

SCHMIEDMANN X-PIPES INSTALLED :

SOME CARBON FENDER GRILLS :

There was a nice bit of work in getting them installed neatly and correctly, once it was all back together the car was lowered on the ramp, started and lifted back up to check for any leaks. once warmed up the car was given some quick blips of the throttle as requested by the owner..... There were 4 big grinning faces as the car now seemed to rev much more freely and rapidly whilst sounding absolutely awesome to say the least.

Video shall come soon.

Thanks for looking .

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Whats in Super4 today

So last week after receiving a call from a customer who was complaining of a high pitched whining sound coming from his engine when it got upto temperature, we got the car in. After having a good look over the N52 there was nothing obvious amiss. The sound was most prominent from the oil filter housing. Having already done an oil service on this car last year about 2,500km ago we were curious as to what was happening.

A GENUINE OEM BMW oil filter was used during the last oil change, so I was quite surprised to see the condition of it once the oil filter housing lid was removed.

The pleats in the filter were deformed and starting to tear away from the filter it's self. With the old oil filter now out and ready for the bin the new OE filter was put in. Cap tightened and car started. With the car still hot it was evident after 5-10 minutes of running that this had cured the problem and the customers fears of a huge bill put to rest.

Thanks for looking

Super4 BMW
    www.instagram.com/super4bmw
    www.super4.ie - Early 2014

Re: Whats in Super4 today

The old filter looks like it was squeezed into the filter housing stressing the sides was it defintely the correct one for the car

I usually take them out around 6/7k and they do be exactly how they went in shapewise

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Whats in Super4 today

Hi Gar yes part numbers checked and filter cap went on with ease. It would take quite an amount of force to get the cap back on snug if the filter was incorrect (as in too tall), and in trying one would most likely ring the threads in the plastic cap itself. Apparently this is somewhat common on the N52 engines from reading up afterwards I found many people complain of this issue.

Super4 BMW
    www.instagram.com/super4bmw
    www.super4.ie - Early 2014

BMWHaus Guru

Whats in Super4 today

I had a similar issue with my M43tu motor, ended up(for various reason) going a good while between services..(13/14k miles)
    The filter had collapsed worse than that, plastic parts inside it had broken up. It was a distasteful waiting to happen.
    No more issues once I started using OEM filters.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by John_D
    I had a similar issue with my M43tu motor, ended up(for various reason) going a good while between services..(13/14k miles)
    The filter had collapsed worse than that, plastic parts inside it had broken up. It was a distasteful waiting to happen.
    No more issues once I started using OEM filters.
    Funnily enough John in this case it was the OEM filter at fault, I am sure like everything there is always the possibility of a bad batch surfacing at some point.