Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The S42 race engine (one for 318IS owners)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

The S42 race engine (one for 318IS owners)

:crying: I want it so bad!

Just doing some reading on this and drooling! Often mentioned I guess but shot down in light of dropping in an M3 engine instead.

Here's a couple of links

http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.php?topic=4749.0

http://the325is.blogspot.ie/2011/12/bmw-m44-engine-to-create-bmw-s42-euro.html

Anyone on here ever tempted?

BMWHaus Guru

Re: The S42 race engine (one for 318IS owners)

I looked into it a few years back! Talked to Martin treacy in westward about it too regarding cams etc pretty much got laughed at and asked how deep are my pockets. First stumbling block was finding an M47n crank apparently like hens teeth! Ended up the S50 route...... For bang for buck!

Sent from my WT19i using Tapatalk 2

BMWHaus Guru

RE: The S42 race engine (one for 318IS owners)

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy
    I looked into it a few years back! Talked to Martin treacy in westward about it too regarding cams etc pretty much got laughed at and asked how deep are my pockets. First stumbling block was finding an M47n crank apparently like hens teeth! Ended up the S50 route...... For bang for buck!

E46 320 D has the crank. One on driver been broken now. If you got the crank could do a stroked affair I'm sure and maybe leave it at that.

Deep pockets needed for sure! Something to salivate over anyway!

Did you get far in looking into it? Wonder does it cost much to get it bored out?

BMWHaus Contributor

Nice power output alright considering the size

BMWHaus Guru

Metric mechanics build them in the states but looks like the price is POA

http://www.metricmechanic.com/pdf/Price-Booklet.pdf

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: The S42 race engine (one for 318IS owners)

Quote Originally Posted by Venom
    Metric mechanics build them in the states but looks like the price is POA

http://www.metricmechanic.com/pdf/Price-Booklet.pdf
    They only sell a tuned is . The s42 only shared a block with m42. S42 had dry sump
    .sat upright not slanted
    .12:1 comp ratio
    .solid lifters
    Valves sit at different angles than m42
    Itb's
    Oh and the real deal had to be rebuilt after 25 hours

Sent from my SM-G3815 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor

I think every M42/44 owner has dreamt of an S42 replica at some stage. It's either that or a Downing Atlanta Supercharger but options are equally illusive.
    Probably why most people with a 318is in search of more power look for an extra two cylinders.
    Hartge also made stroker versions of the engines, 2.1 & 2.3 litre with complete engines and also kits comprising the crankshaft and conrods and pistons as far as I recall.
    I've been watching a set on German ebay for the past year off and on but for the cost you could probably buy two E36s

BMWHaus Guru

Re: RE: The S42 race engine (one for 318IS owners)

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy

E46 320 D has the crank. One on driver been broken now. If you got the crank could do a stroked affair I'm sure and maybe leave it at that.

Deep pockets needed for sure! Something to salivate over anyway!

Did you get far in looking into it? Wonder does it cost much to get it bored out?
    This was about 3-4 years ago I was looking, I'm sure the crank is probably easier to get now for sure, but your looking at serious head work, m44 con rods, s50 pistons, cam re-profiling at least! Some I think even used s14 pistons....As mentioned, dry sumping and solid lifters etc. If you weren't in a rush you could acquire the bits over time to suit a budget but serious wedge in the short term! I read a lot of articles and how-to's around the time so might be mixing up some of the piston/con rod mating!!

BMWHaus Guru

It's certainly got me thinking i must say! I wonder what it's like to be behind the wheel of one

BMWHaus Guru

It's certainly got me thinking i must say! I wonder what it's like to be behind the wheel of one
    I still think about the 'what if'. It would be amazing for someone with the right know how to to this if they had the time/money and patience, and let me see it and drive!!!