Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine vibration

Engine vibration

Hi, i've noticed that my '98 528i feels rather rough at idle, the car is slightly shaking. To me it feels like an engine vibration but the idle seems fine. What could it be?

Re: Engine vibration

Coil pack most likely on its way out Is it a vigorous shake

RE: Engine vibration

Quote Originally Posted by Gar
    Coil pack most likely on its way out Is it a vigorous shake
    Well i'd say that any passengers probably wouldn't notice it unless pointed out to them but i have noticed that it's not as smooth as before. It's still all on the original coil packs Gar. I wonder would it show up on a code or diagnostic?

Re: Engine vibration

Should do but not always ,you might have a few error frequencys recorded on a cylinder as "misfire detected"

When it goes completely you will get an eml

I will have to get her checked out. ok chaps thanks!

Bit of an update, when i'm in the car driving I can hear a bit of a woosh when i lift off the accelerator to change gear. I just had the bonnet open there and i can hear a woosh when i start to give it a rev. I guess it must be an air leak somewhere. Anyone know where it usually happens?

BMWHaus Guru

Upper and lower intake boots prob need changing.
    Had both mine changed, had small tears in them

Yeah i'd say you could be right. I reckon the original intake boots are still on it, thanks.

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Have a look in between the creases on the intake bellows and see if it is starting to split / or already split in there, this is common on the bellows when they get old.

Well i had the car checked out but nothing was found. I put some BG44K in and i'm only a third way through a thank and the idle seems better already.