Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: E46 Detail - Newbies attempt at machine polishing ('05 E46)

BMWHaus Contributor

RE: E46 Detail - Newbies attempt at machine polishing ('05 E46)

Lovely write up and pictures Owen! I understand how hard it can be to work outside with no garage or shed hence being at the mercy of the weather especially now with low temperatures when doing the claying :wink:
    The last picture and the beading is really nice and very artistic, love it !
    Keep up the good work and pictures :smiling:

BMWHaus Contributor

Nice progress Owen. Where did you rent the wet vac from?

BMWHaus Contributor

Re: RE: E46 Detail - Newbies attempt at machine polishing ('05 E46)

Quote Originally Posted by EndaC
    Nice progress Owen. Where did you rent the wet vac from?
    Bought if off Amazon as a black Friday deal, 112 euro all in, well worth the investment, your welcome to borrow it if you want to try it out

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Contributor

Thanks Owen, I may take you up on that offer when the weather improves a bit

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by EndaC
    Thanks Owen, I may take you up on that offer when the weather improves a bit
    No problem, will be attacking the interior again soon, pics above is just a quick going over with the wet VAC and no agitation with a brush or any other products, i say it will be scary when I attack it properly to see what dirt it pulls out, might pull out the rear bench next week and attack it in the warmth and comfort of indoors.

This week there will be very little updates unfortunately due to graduation and working hours, hope to finish the bonnet and maybe tackle the roof on Friday weather dependant

BMWHaus Contributor

Nice job owen, fancy having a go at my Golf some day? I'll help of course and give you some beer tokens after, shoot me a pm if you do!

BMWHaus Contributor

Not much updates recently due to the weather, got so sick of the lack of progress decided to take matters into my own hands....stripped the rear seats for cleaning indoors

It may seem a bit excessive but wanted to limit the chance of the alcantara getting wet or exposed to any chemicals

I have already tackled these while in the car and got a good about of dirt off them but while they are in the car it is limited accessibility.
    Items used were;
    -Mer carpet and interior cleaner
    - stiff brush (too stiff so wrapped with a microfibre)
    -wet VAC

After 3 passes on the seat bottom

And after cleaning the seat backs:

Have no pics of it in the car yet (currently drying in the garage )
    Will attempt the front seats during the week if the weather is bad, swap out the alcantara and in with the old cloth interior

It's very satisfying getting the crap out of seat and you see (and smell) the difference for a long time. Thanks for the pics Owen, when you said you 'primed' the pad prior to polishing do you mean you just gave the pad a blob beforehand ?

BMWHaus Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Korsam
    It's very satisfying getting the crap out of seat and you see (and smell) the difference for a long time. Thanks for the pics Owen, when you said you 'primed' the pad prior to polishing do you mean you just gave the pad a blob beforehand ?
    I sprayed a small bit if spray was on the pad to dampen it then put 4 blobs of polish and spread evenly on the pad. I find the wax stops the polish dry out as fast, forgot it once and was awkward to buff the polish remainder off. Hope that answers your question, anything else give a shout, the junkman videos on YouTube are a good source of advice

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Korsam
    I sprayed a small bit if spray was on the pad to dampen it then put 4 blobs of polish and spread evenly on the pad. I find the wax stops the polish dry out as fast, forgot it once and was awkward to buff the polish remainder off. Hope that answers your question, anything else give a shout, the junkman videos on YouTube are a good source of advice

Thanks Owen - I'm about to embark into machine polishing on the new machine and looking for any and all tidbits that will 1)make my life easier and 2) prevent me fucking up