Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 suspension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Contributor

E36 M3 suspension

Any recommendations,

Not looking for coilovers, a good damper and spring setup is what I'm after.

The Bilstein B12 setup is looking good but pricey.

Do I have an option of two different spring setups with this kit, the pro kit and sport kit??

Has anybody any pics of them fitted to an E36 M??

Some pictures I've come across on the Internet make it look very OEM, I'm not looking to drop it to the floor but a moderate looking drop would be nice. Maybe 30/35 mm

Cheers

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E36 M3 suspension

Am planning on an H&R club kit (comfort) which has matched springs and shocks. Alloy Wheels.ie are suppliers on here - they offer a reasonable fitted price.

Pro kit lowers it moderately - sport kit is definitely more aggressive, but it won't be over the top.

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Remote
    Any recommendations,

Not looking for coilovers, a good damper and spring setup is what I'm after.

The Bilstein B12 setup is looking good but pricey.

Do I have an option of two different spring setups with this kit, the pro kit and sport kit??

Has anybody any pics of them fitted to an E36 M??

Some pictures I've come across on the Internet make it look very OEM, I'm not looking to drop it to the floor but a moderate looking drop would be nice. Maybe 30/35 mm

Cheers
    I'm fitting the rest of my pro kit tonight. I'll throw a pic up at the weekend when I take her out of the garage for a scrub.

Keep in mind there are 3 different thicknesses of rear spring pads that can be fitted to an E36 ranging in 5mm, 7mm and 10mm. My M3 has the 10mm pads fitted.

Thing you need to mind with an E36 is that the standard fit wheels can get lost in the arches when you drop them too low. Might need spacers too.

Quote Originally Posted by kdevitt
    Am planning on an H&R club kit (comfort) which has matched springs and shocks. Alloy Wheels.ie are suppliers on here - they offer a reasonable fitted price.

Pro kit lowers it moderately - sport kit is definitely more aggressive, but it won't be over the top.
    Unfortunately h&R dont list a cup kit for the M3 even though alloywheels.ie do....

BMWHaus Contributor

Yea unfortunately H+R don't do a cup kit for the E36 M3, there was confusion about this as there kit states that its for all 6 cylinder models, however the ARB are different on the M and will not fit compared to other E36 variants. So it's a no go.

This is why im looking for other alternatives.

Normally the Bilstein B12 set-up is the B8 shocks with Eibach loweing springs, however for the E36 M3 the shocks included in the B12 kit are actually B6 shocks.

The B6 is a shock with the normal OEM lenght rod.

While the B8's have the same dampening as the B6 but with a shortened rod, more suited for lowering springs.

However Bilstein offer a B8 setup for the Z3M, which has an identical front end to the E36 M.

Appears that a popular thing to do is to use the B8 front shocks from the Z3M and standard B6 rear shock along with either Eibach or H+R springs to make up your B12 kit.

As said the B6 and B8's appear to have identical dampening, its just the B8 is better suited to lowering springs as the rod is shorter so maintains a better level of performance with the lowering spring.

Been told Bilstein don't have a problem providing the B12 kit in this way.

BMWHaus Guru

I'll have mine on B8's when i fit the springs so that'll give you a good idea what they're like.

How much are decent quaility coilovers? I dont think Eibach or H&R coilovers are mad money.

BMWHaus Contributor

Im not sure tbh,

as far as I remember I think I paid just over 1K for E46 H+R Monotube coilovers a few years ago.

I don't really want to go down the coilover route with the car as I will prob look to sell it down the road and I think coilovers will be a drawback to some people.

Are you running B8 on front and rear, or are you running the B8 front and B6 rear??

Look forward to seeing your pics

BMWHaus Guru

I'll have B8's front and rear.

A friend of mine is running Eibach Pro's on his M3 too. I'll see if i can dig out a pic of it as well.

BMWHaus Contributor

Super, how did you get B8's for the rear??

They only list B6 for the M3, Il have to use Z3M front B8's if I want B8's

Thanks

BMWHaus Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Remote
    Super, how did you get B8's for the rear??

They only list B6 for the M3, Il have to use Z3M front B8's if I want B8's

Thanks
    Sorry its the yellow B6's that I have all round. Got confussed there. :huh:

BMWHaus Guru

As promised.

E36 M3 on Eibach Pro springs and 5mm rear spring pads.

http://www.autolifers.com/torchlight-wayne-douglas-e36-bmw-m3/#more-4810