Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E36 318is - Fuel pump issue?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BMWHaus Guru

E36 318is - Fuel pump issue?

I think my fuel pump is knackered. Car is currently issue free and everything is perfect or at least I thought. I think there is something in the water as my mams fuel pump went there about a week ago + member here. Lucky it's fixed as I'm back driving her car haha.

I went to drive to work today car started fine. Hadn't drove it yesterday. Drove about 1/2 mile. Was really rough so I pulled in at the end of our road before I drove out on the main road. Stopped car conked blocking the road. Started would only run for about 5 to 10 secounds revs hunting between 500-2000rpm. Started every time and conked after about 5 secs every time. I managed to do a 3 point turn revving the life out of it and got it turned for home. I drove it back in the road in 1st gear keeping revs high and it made it home.

How can I check if it's the fuel pump? I can tow it/trailer it to mechanic if needed but it would be a lot of hassle as I live in the sticks. I was thinking about buying a secound hand fuel pump off ebay €40delivered and if this fixes it to buy a new one?

Leading me to my next question what models are the same pumps in as I have access to a few E36 scrappers non of which are M44 unfortunately though.

Car is approaching championship mileage at 187k and covery 90 miles every day for reference.

Are you getting ignition spark to the plugs? Had a familer sounding problem on my m44 an was a sensor under the intake manifold. Had melted to bare wire an was shorting off itself.

I hope this May be the case as it's a cheaper fix than the fuel pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMWHaus Guru

RE: E36 318is - Fuel pump issue?

Dissappointing response - any feedback is welcomed

the way i tested mine was

lift back seat turn on ignition listen for noise you may need to try start it to get the pump to make a noise

next get in the back and check if its getting power with a multimeter

and lastly i took the engine cover off and theres a small valve like a tyre valve on the fuel rail stick a pin in the valve and check for pressure (it should be strong) if it dribbles out the pump is gone {not sure if m44 is in the same location}

you symptoms are slightly similar to mine but the reason i didn't post earlier is because i couldn't get the car to run but you can so maybe your is just about to fail

when was the last time you changed the fuel filter

id start by trying what i siad above anyways at least you can eliminate then

BMWHaus Guru

Cheers for the reply sir.

I changed the fuel filter last year around September.

I'll have a look at in the morning but its just so weird that it did this so suddenly. Probably about time for it to fail but not the end of the world.

the one in the e46 just died without warning i was suprised for it to dye like that but there you go

BMWHaus Guru

In a dramatic change of events it's 100% this morning! Dodgey petrol?

Sent forward in time from my Nokia 3210

BMWHaus Site Sponsor

Replied to your post on driver there, and just saw it here then. Also check all electrical connections to the pump and with the car running wriggle them about to see does it stir anything up.

BMWHaus Guru

Will drive it to work today. If I feel it isn't working properly or don't have confidence in it I have one sourced secound hand to try and like I said if that works will put in a new one. Gonna bring if for a spin shortly. It ran there for 20 mins no problem but haven't actually drove it anywhere yet!

I had a similar problem with mine (Wouldn't tick over and would just die with a backfire, Fine if the revs were kept up though)

I just cleaned the Idle Control Valve and it sorted it.